Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re new P/U's on Tele ?

Hi
    I don't normally post in this area but I have two questions which I would appreciate
    your deliberations on...
    I have a Fender (Mexican) Telecaster in which the owner wanted me to install two pickups
    that he supplied.
    One is a Lindy Fralin Tele Blues Special Hybrid bridge p/u and the other is a Seymour Duncan
    Antiquity Neck pick up complete with rusty screws ?
    The ground wire from each original pickup goes to a ground lug before terminating on the back of the vol pot.
    The neck p/u's ground lug is screwed to the body's conductive paint job and the bridge p/u's ground lug fits on one of the mounting screws between the tubing and the bridge plate.
    I presume the "best" way to fit the new ones is to run both the hot and the ground wires to the switch and pot casing respectively and leave the existing ground wire running from the same pot case back to the lug?
    i.e. Cut the original grounds from the pickup to the lug but leaving the body/chassis grounds to the back of pot ground as is.
    That seems a neater way to do it and leaves the new pu's with a decent length of wire should the owner decide to swap things later.
    Not rocket science but wondered what was standard practice in this case.

Secondly the Lindy Fralin bridge pickup is slightly bigger than what was in there.
    When mounted, the holes on the bridge plate can't line up with the holes in the body
    bridge plate lower (away from neck) as pickup base bumps into the "top" (side nearest neck)
    of the cavity.
    The ground plate of the L.F. seems to be slightly skewed so it protrudes over the edge of the bobbin base.
    I have limited wood work tools and was wondering if I should slightly file down the base plate so it doesn't collide with the body or will this wreck some mojo capacitance or some such.
    I suppose as the pickups are probably worth more than the guitar maybe I should hack out a few mm's from the body avoiding possible de-magnetization ...or mojo corruption !

Any tips welcome ..what I thought would be an easy job has a few stumbling blocks !
    Attached Files
    Last edited by oc disorder; 09-15-2010, 10:19 PM. Reason: attachment
Working...
X