Pickup recommendations for Esquire build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup recommendations for Esquire build

Hello, I am in the process of building a single pickup pine body Esquire. Recommendations please for pickup choice. I'd like a close approximation of the original tone, but I am curious as to how noisy one single coil was. Favorites?

Bill Lawrence is always worth checking out but there surely others that offer a pickup with original Esquire characteristics. They we're slightly hotter than later Tele bridge pickups.
    Be sure to check out the diagrams of the original circuits, they used 1MOhm pots and .1uf tone cap. Bridge plate materials might also be worth researching if you're really aiming for an authentic tone as they affect the tone. I'm not sure what the Esquires used....

Comment

I love tapped overwound pups with a 3-way switch wired Duncan Sig-style. Top gives full output with a fat sound, middle sounds brighter - typical Esquire, bottom is warm (tapped coil + cap to ground).

http://www.seymourduncan.com/pdfs/su...gn_esquire.pdf

Re. the actual pups, I'd have a look at Duncan, Klein, Mare and others - there are many excellent pickups.

Comment

Originally posted by RoadToNever View Post
        Be sure to check out the diagrams of the original circuits, they used 1MOhm pots and .1uf tone cap. Bridge plate materials might also be worth researching if you're really aiming for an authentic tone as they affect the tone. I'm not sure what the Esquires used....
        Thanks, I found one excerpt from a book re: the wiring for the control plate. I will research the bridge plate material. I know the saddles were un-threaded steel. I might cheat and use compensated saddles for better intonation. Or should I go original straight saddles and keep a little quirkiness?

Comment

Compensated saddles seems wise in the long run. I say go with it!

Comment

[QUOTE=fyl;197414]I love tapped overwound pups with a 3-way switch wired Duncan Sig-style. Top gives full output with a fat sound, middle sounds brighter - typical Esquire, bottom is warm (tapped coil + cap to ground).
            Thanks for the reply. Is the switch set up you refer to different than the; tone bypassed, tone control engaged, tone bypassed but bassy I have read about? Also, I am being too worried about noise from one single coil? I don't really want to go to stacked or split coil if it won't be too loud.

Comment

Compensated saddles seems wise in the long run. I say go with it!
              They were a great addition to a Classic Vibe tele I have. And if you don't point them out, they are not really noticeable. Thanks

Comment

Is the switch set up you refer to different than the; tone bypassed, tone control engaged, tone bypassed but bassy I have read about?
                Yes it's quite diferent: tone works in all positions, the first one is big and bold (full pup), second one is quite standard (tapped), third is warm/mellow (tapped and cap to gnd). This wiring was devised by Seymour Duncan for his '54 Esquire and is used by Fender's Custom Shop in the Seymour Duncan Signature Esquire.

I use it in one of my Esquires fitted with a tapped Catswhiskers TP90 - a P90 in Tele bridge format. Works really well, won't get back to std wiring.

Also, I am being too worried about noise from one single coil?
                Singles can be noisy, but most people don't have any problems with them.

Comment

The bridge plate adds extra shielding against noise so at least more manageable noise than a Strat. Installing additional shielding is nicely outlined at guitarnuts.com

Comment

The bridge plate adds extra shielding against noise so at least more manageable noise than a Strat. Installing additional shielding is nicely outlined at guitarnuts.com
                    I planned on shielding the cavities and grounding the bridge plate. It is good to know it shouldn't hum too much. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X