Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching help????

Hey all.

I've run into a little problem that I can't seem to get my head around... I hope someone here knows a solution and is willing to share it with me...

So here goes...

I have modified a strat with two P90's, a Gibson style three way toggle, Master Volume and Tone. So that it works the same as my SG Special, and is an effective backup... all cool so far.

I want to add a "Lead" switch, just on/off, to send the Hot from the bridge pickup straight to the output, and bypass the rest of the circuit, regardless of the circuit's state (ie switch position etc.).

I hope I've made that clear enough.

Thanks in advance.

graham

Hi it's really easy to do....you just need a DPDT switch. on 1 side of the switch you connect the Pos+ wire from the Bridge pickup to the center lug, then on the same side of the switch you connect the wire to the normal circuit position of the pickup to the left lug..then from the right lug a small jumper wire to the center lug on the other side of the switch. On the other side the left lug goes to the normal circuit position and the center lug goes to the Pos+ wire to the output jack. done!

Comment

Glad it's easy... thanks for your help.

I just have this mental block when it comes to switching... do you reckon you could post a diagram to help me visualise that?

Cheers

graham

Comment

This ought to make sense.

Note that the two wires identified as Neck (+) and Bridge(+) are the wires that are currently wired to your selector switch.

The wire on the left would be soldered to the (+) of your output jack in addition to the one(s) currently soldered to it.

Enjoy !

Cheers,
        Thom
        Attached Files
        | sigpic Galibier Design
        | ... crafting technology in service of music
        |
        http://www.galibierdesign.com/
        |__________________________________________

Comment

Thanks y'all.

That makes it plenty clear. I appreciate that a lot.

graham

Comment

That switch will work, but wont disconnect your volume and tone from the pickup.

If you want to go directly to the jack, try something like this.

Where it says "Bridge Pickup" is wired right to your pickup. "To Switch (lead pickup)" goes to the pickup selector switch, where the lead pickup would connect to. The lug from the volume control that would normally go to the jack goes to "From volume & tone controls" and lastly the "jack" connection is your hot wire to the jack.
            Attached Files
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks again.

graham

Comment

The way I described it is the right way to do it,Not the diagram pictured! There is no need to wire the neck pickup in and his diagram doesn't bypass the controls!

Comment

Originally posted by layboomo View Post
                  The way I described it is the right way to do it,Not the diagram pictured! There is no need to wire the neck pickup in and his diagram doesn't bypass the controls!
                  Right, which is why I posted my diagram, which removes the controls from the circuit and passes the lead pickup directly to the jack.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi David, we were saying the same thing...for some reason your post didn't show up when I posted my reply? I was talking about the first diagram....yours is of course correct!

Comment

Thanks, David.
                      Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      Right, which is why I posted my diagram, which removes the controls from the circuit and passes the lead pickup directly to the jack.
                      I realized after the fact that I forgot about the tone controls being tied to the pickup.

We needed someone to jump-start this with a diagram for our friend and I shamelessly posted the first one. I shouldn't try to function at 2am

One question about your diagram however ... all of our diagrams seem to only be addressing one of the three pickup switch positions - when the bridge only switch position is selected.

Am I missing something?

If the middle position is selected (bridge + neck), or the neck is selected, won't we be seeing the pickups and their controls regardless of the position of the new switch?

I'm basing this on a view of the schematic (found at http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

I'm thinkin' we need a 3PDT. Maybe it's the sleep deprivation.

Cheers,
                      Thom
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 03-25-2007, 02:46 AM.
                      | sigpic Galibier Design
                      |

Comment

Missing something...

You are missing something.....in the straight thru to the jack position he wants to bypass everything....ie just the bridge pickup hot to the jack. Then the other switch position puts the pickup back in the normal circuit!

Comment

OK ... I'm better now ...

Originally posted by layboomo View Post
                          You are missing something.....in the straight thru to the jack position he wants to bypass everything....ie just the bridge pickup hot to the jack. Then the other switch position puts the pickup back in the normal circuit!
                          David's drawing works, with one minor change. The terminal labeled `From volume and tone pots' should be labeled 'from switch output'. Otherwise, the switch output will always be connected to the output jack and will always be in parallel with the "lead" position.

Stated in another way, the "normal" position needs to do two things:

1. Connect the bridge pickup to the bridge volume pot
                          2. Connect the output of the switch to the jack

The "lead" position needs to:

1. Route the bridge pickup straight to the o/p jack
                          2. Disconnect the original switch's o/p from the jack.

It is this latter function that concerned me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it ... until someone hits me over the head, that is

Cheers,
                          Thom
                          | sigpic Galibier Design
                          |

Comment

Originally posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
                            David's drawing works, with one minor change. The terminal labeled `From volume and tone pots' should be labeled 'from switch output'. Otherwise, the switch output will always be connected to the output jack and will always be in parallel with the "lead" position.
                            No, it wont. Draw out all possible signal paths and you will see how it works. That's always the best way to work. If you have a six position switch, you must make six flow charts!

We have two separate switches in the DPDT switch. The top three contacts are one pole, and the bottom three are the other pole.

The switch goes to the volume and tone control, and it never switched in or out, but the controls are. When the switch is in the "normal" position, the lead pickup is routed to the pickup selector switch, and the control are routed to the jack. In the "lead" position, the lead pickup is disconnected from the switch, and sent right to the jack, and the output of the controls is also disconnected from the jack.

I've done this wiring a bunch of times in the past.

The "lead" position needs to:

1. Route the bridge pickup straight to the o/p jack
                            2. Disconnect the original switch's o/p from the jack.

It is this latter function that concerned me.
                            The switch is not connected to the output jack! The volume and tone controls are. This is a guitar with master volume and tone, remember?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it ... until someone hits me over the head, that is
                            Whack!

Here's the signal flow... follow the red path:
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by David Schwab; 03-25-2007, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              NThis is a guitar with master volume and tone, remember? Whack!
                              U-reee-ka ! I was thinking about two vols and two tones as in the schematic I posted above.

Never mind ... I'm all better now

Cheers,
                              Thom
                              | sigpic Galibier Design
                              |

Comment

Working...
                              X