Pickup suggestion please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestion please

I need a pickup suggestion. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that is stock and I have an 82 american strat with Suhr v60's and a DiMarzio Fast Track 2. I am looking for something with a little more balls to go in the Les Paul but I want it to be comparable in output to the strat. Not really a stickler on manufacturer. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by thendrix View Post
    I need a pickup suggestion. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that is stock and I have an 82 american strat with Suhr v60's and a DiMarzio Fast Track 2. I am looking for something with a little more balls to go in the Les Paul but I want it to be comparable in output to the strat. Not really a stickler on manufacturer. Any suggestions?
    I don't know about comparing the 2 guitars, but if you concentrate on just improving the Epi LP, There are all kind of good alternatives.
    I make Pickups, and I like a good vintage Hot in the Bridge (8.8-9.4k DCR), and a good regular low wound Neck.
    If you are buying after market pickups, IMO you can't beat Seymour Duncan, In sound tests IMO the SDs always beat out the Dimarzio's.
    That is strictly IMO.
    SD makes the very good Pearly Gates, 59s, Jazz, Pro Alnico2s, Seth Lover.
    Most of those would be good choices, IMO.
    If I had the Funds, I would probably pick the Pearly's!
    If you want OverWound pickups, I'm the wrong guy to be asking.
    Good Luck,
    BigT
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

OK, I have a whole 'nother approach.

You said you wanted similar output to the Strat, and my guess is that you wouldn't mind something that had the same articulation and bell tones, but with hotter mids and more ballsy-sounding without a ton of output.

I think that the TV Jones TV Classic Plus and TV Classic (bridge and neck respectively) is EXACTLY what you are looking for. Kind of pricey at $263 direct for the pair, but I have put these in guitars upon my recommendation, and the results have been stellar. Go to their website and check out the cheapo Ibanez that Tom (Jones, that is, as in TV Jones) demonstrates after retrofitting one of his pickups. The tone is staggering!

Filtertrons you say? Heck yeah! Works pretty good for Malcolm Young and many other rockers.
      John R. Frondelli
      dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
        OK, I have a whole 'nother approach.

You said you wanted similar output to the Strat, and my guess is that you wouldn't mind something that had the same articulation and bell tones, but with hotter mids and more ballsy-sounding without a ton of output.

I think that the TV Jones TV Classic Plus and TV Classic (bridge and neck respectively) is EXACTLY what you are looking for. Kind of pricey at $263 direct for the pair, but I have put these in guitars upon my recommendation, and the results have been stellar. Go to their website and check out the cheapo Ibanez that Tom (Jones, that is, as in TV Jones) demonstrates after retrofitting one of his pickups. The tone is staggering!

Filtertrons you say? Heck yeah! Works pretty good for Malcolm Young and many other rockers.
        That is on the pricey side.
        I have absoutely no experience with the TV Jones or Gretsch stuff in general.
        Back to Malcolm though, All that lead guitar is played by Angus on a real Humbucker!
        I just think Gibson style when you say hum canceling.
        I'm going to check out the vid!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I have had my eye on the Pearly Gates for a while, just wasn't sure. I am guessing there are no stock guitars with these pickups in them. Of course not. That would be to easy.

jrfrond' man you are right! That Ibanez came ALIVE! This is certainly an option I am going to look into if I can find the cash.

Thanks for your help guys.

Comment

Originally posted by thendrix View Post
            I have had my eye on the Pearly Gates for a while, just wasn't sure. I am guessing there are no stock guitars with these pickups in them. Of course not. That would be to easy.

jrfrond' man you are right! That Ibanez came ALIVE! This is certainly an option I am going to look into if I can find the cash.

Thanks for your help guys.
            Hey, I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't experienced it first-hand installing these pickups in clients' guitars. TV Jones Classic has everything you could want in a pickup. It's very easy to tailor a good sound when all the tone you need is there, i.e. snap, sparkle, air, clean highs, solid mids, clean and tight bass. I am about to install a pair in my son's Ibanez AS73, which actually sounds pretty good with the stock pickups.

The only other pickups that come close are Lollar Imperial Low-Winds, which are even pricier.

You know, SD, DiMarzio and even GFS make some really nice pickups, with SD being the front-runner. But many times with pickups, you get what you pay for, and the TVJ's make every cent of your investment count.
            John R. Frondelli

Comment

Originally posted by jrfrond View Post
              Hey, I wouldn't have believed it myself if I hadn't experienced it first-hand installing these pickups in clients' guitars. TV Jones Classic has everything you could want in a pickup. It's very easy to tailor a good sound when all the tone you need is there, i.e. snap, sparkle, air, clean highs, solid mids, clean and tight bass. I am about to install a pair in my son's Ibanez AS73, which actually sounds pretty good with the stock pickups.

The only other pickups that come close are Lollar Imperial Low-Winds, which are even pricier.

You know, SD, DiMarzio and even GFS make some really nice pickups, with SD being the front-runner. But many times with pickups, you get what you pay for, and the TVJ's make every cent of your investment count.
              I didn't look real hard, but can you post the link to the Ibanez Vid?
              I never did find it!
              Terry
              Terry

Comment

TV Jones Guitars and Pickups

Click on "TV Classic Plus" and enjoy!
                John R. Frondelli

Comment

Working...
                X