Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele brige p/u change ?

Hi guys,
    I just changed out the stock bridge p/u on my nashville tele. The p/u I switch to was a custom wound Klien with a copper base. The problem I'm having is that when I click in my overdrive pedal I get all kinds of microphonic noise? It's the same feedback you get when a mike is pointed directly at a monitor.The original bridge p/u had a plastic bottom. Could the copper bottom klien p/u be causing the problem? Is it a grounding issue? I'm after removing and resoldering 4 times now and it's still there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck.

Yes, it is most likely the bottom plate. The problem is usually that it is loose, or generally not anchored well to the pickup bottom.
    John R. Frondelli
    dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Hey John,
      Thanks for the reply,but all the screws attaching the plate are tight. This p/u worked perfertly in another tele I had it mounted in??? Could it be that the route might need to be shielded?

Comment

Hey John,
        I took apart the guitar again and "MY BAD" there are no screws in the copper baseplate on the clien. The p/u was originally attached with springs on the 3 mounting/adjusting screws. When I removed the orignal nashville p/u it had surgical rubber on the mounting/adjusting screws. I installed the clien with the rubber tensioners.I've since removed the rubber and replaced them with springs which give the p/u more tension,thus holding the copper plate tighter. It's way better now but can still get taht feedback when in close proximity of the amp. How was the copper plat attached in the first ,I wonder if it was glued?

Chuck.

Comment

Microphonics can be created whenever there is some piece of metal moving around in proximity to the magnetic field. After all, that's what strings do, isn't it? Some wax to damp any vibration of the bottom plate, and some surgical tubing to sit inert instead of springs to vibrate, and you'll be alright.

Worst case scenario, put some masking tape around the springs once the pickup height has been adjusted to taste, or even stick some chewing gum in there.

Comment

Hey Mark, I removed the surgical tubing and replaced it with springs.easy to reverse again.. I'll remove the p/u and put some wax around the edge of the copper plate to keep it from vibrating as well. Thanks for the info,I appreciate it.

Chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckb View Post
              Hey Mark, I removed the surgical tubing and replaced it with springs.easy to reverse again.. I'll remove the p/u and put some wax around the edge of the copper plate to keep it from vibrating as well. Thanks for the info,I appreciate it.

Chuck.
              I just rewound a stock 65 fender tele bridge with the copper clad base plate.
              I took the baseplate off to rewind it.
              there was some masking tape between the pickup and the baseplate.
              When I put it back I retaped it then took a candle and dripped wax on the bottom.
              when I put the plate on I put the screws in the plate . Then I heated the copper plate with my soldering iron.
              That bonds the plate to the base of the P/U.
              I figure all you need to do is heat the bottom of the copper baseplate with your soldering iron.
              Good Luck,
              Terry
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Hey Terry,
                My base plate doesn't have any screws that attach it to the p/u. There seems only to be some tape between the p/u and the copper base. I guess I could put some wax between the p/u and plate,I would have to clamp it somehow until the wax driesI guess.

Chuck.

Comment

Hey Terry,
                  My base plate doesn't have any screws that attach it to the p/u. There seems only to be some tape between the p/u and the copper base. I guess I could put some wax between the p/u and plate,I would have to clamp it somehow until the wax driesI guess.

Chuck.
                  The try this.
                  Take the baseplate off turn the pickup upside down, and drip wax around on the bottom of the pickup.
                  Pre warm the baseplate on soldering Iron cage, or something similar.
                  Then Lay the basepalte on the pickup that is upside down.
                  Take your Iron and move it around on the baseplate. You will see the wax run out from between the plate and P/U.
                  Then let it cool. You don't have to clamp it. It will cool rather fast.
                  I don't understand why Klein didn't use a drilled and tapped baseplate.
                  It's not like the one below?
                  Terry
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Hey Terry,
                    Yes, my baseplate is similar to that and it goes have the holes for the height adjustment screws. I was looking at another tele bridge p/u I have here and it has two screws just off center on the baseplate. I thought that was what you were talking about. Great, I'll do what you suggested and let you know how it works out.

thanks,
                    Chuck.

Comment

Hey Terry,
                      Yes, my baseplate is similar to that and it goes have the holes for the height adjustment screws. I was looking at another tele bridge p/u I have here and it has two screws just off center on the baseplate. I thought that was what you were talking about. Great, I'll do what you suggested and let you know how it works out.

thanks,
                      Chuck.
                      put the wax on then put the baseplate on with the screws and springs, then heat up.
                      The screws and springs will hold it steady while it cools.
                      Terry

Comment

Chuckb:
                        I thought of something else.
                        Make sure the Height adjustment screws are not threading into the Pickup fiber board.
                        The holes should be drilled out, so your only threading the 3 screws into the copper plate, not the fiber.
                        If it threads into both, it will loosen the baseplate.
                        BigT
                        Terry

Comment

Actually, when I said "loose", I meant not solidly anchored to the back of the pickup. Some people will do this with paraffin wax, same as used for potting. I prefer a thin coating of RTV silicone rubber. ALL works the same.
                          John R. Frondelli
                          dBm Pro Audio Services, New York, NY

"Mediocre is the new 'Good' "

Comment

Working...
                          X