Help Crowning Frets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Crowning Frets

I could use some tips on useing a diamond grooved fret file 320/400 grit. on a Fender neck

Originally posted by dumbassbob View Post
    I could use some tips on useing a diamond grooved fret file 320/400 grit. on a Fender neck
    Basically after you have leveled your frets with a flat file, you use one of these to round over the edge where you have filed the tops flat.

After that you can sand the frets with something like 400-600 grit paper to remove the scratches, and then use 0000 steel wool. I then use a dremel tool with a buffing wheel and some rouge.

Personally I don't use a grooved file for crowning... I like a small triangle file with "safe" edges like this one. I made mine, but it would be like the small size at Stewmac.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Might want to be more specific.

Comment

Crown Frets

I have tryed useind the 3 corner files and all I did was make everything uneven.That must take more skill.I have 2 grooved diamond files What do you do with them 320 grit and a 400 thanks for any info

Comment

I have tryed useind the 3 corner files and all I did was make everything uneven. That must take more skill.
          You only use it to round over the flat top... you never use it on the tops of the frets.

I have 2 grooved diamond files What do you do with them 320 grit and a 400 thanks for any info
          What are you trying to do? If your frets need dressing, this is not the file to use. This is a crowning file for use after your frets have been leveled.

You need a fret leveling file. I use the 6" one here: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting...ing_Files.html

Doing fret work takes a lot of practice. I'd suggest getting a book or video on it, get some tools, and practice on a junk guitar.

It's not really something I can tell you how to do here, and it took me a few guitars to get really good it it.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

A Few more Fret ??

What I am trying to do I have a older Strat neck that I played on for years,and it now is down to .33-.30 and they have grooves in a few of the frets,from bending D and G.Can I use the crown fret to bring it back to looking new,befor I get a part fret job.I am ordering that Stew-Mac book of frets Monday.

Comment

You really need to use a leveling file first. It goes like this... get the neck straight (loosen the truss rod) and draw on the frets with a sharpie marker. If you have a maple fingerboard, tape that off first! All the tops of the frets should now be black (I like blue sharpies).

Then use the leveling file to file the tops of all the frets until you see shiny metal on every fret. This is why you used the sharpie. After you are sure you have gotten every fret even, and removed what ever grooves there might be, use the crowing file you already have to round off the tops of the frets.

If the grooves in the frets are too deep, you may need to replace those frets, and then level them off.

After you have crowed all the frets, sand them smooth with 300 and then 600 grit.. you want to remove all the scratches you made filing them, and polish them up with 0000 steel wool. They should be nice and shiny.

The book should help. Dan Erlewine really knows his stuff.

Comment

Thanks David for Crown Help

Now I have alittle info to start with,I will buy the Book on Monday thanks for your time.PS what do you think of the 59 B, humbuck from seymour D.

Comment

If you know the radius of your fingerboard, you might wanna order a radius block and a roll of the 3M Stickit tape (adhesive-backed sandpaper) when you order the fretwork book from Stew-mac. Makes leveling easier.

The Stickit tape also works well for crowning. Those "diamond" files Stew-mac sells gouge the frets too much for me. If you put a piece of the tape in the hollow of the file (use the file as a form for the sandpaper tape), you won't have to do as much sanding to remove the file's grit marks from the frets.

Comment

Thanks for all the Tips

You guys have been a big help.I thought all you had to do was rub the top of the fret with the file,and that was it.

Comment

Working...
                    X