Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kay/Teisco 60's SG Bass wiring / mic info

Hello,
    i'm rewiring a Teisco/Kay 60's short scale SG bass and have couple of questions for you experts. Please have a look at the picture attached. Some of the topics may have been discussed elsewhere, sorry about that.

- Do you have any information about the mic? Type, model, anything.
    - Why are there separete green and blue leads (which are both grounded)? Is is possible / reasonable to wire it some way else?
    - The vol pot is now 100K. What do you think is it a good idea to replace it with same value? I have not much experience about the sound now because of the grounding problems.
    - The tone circuit is now connected to the "jack end" of the vol pot, not to the "mic end". Is there any difference between those two ways to connect it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	kay_sg_bass_mic+wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	863523

It looks like a single coil pickup.
    Standard looking wiring.
    The Green wire is probably a ground for the metal pickup cover, and baseplate.
    The Red would be the hot side of the pickup and the blue would ground the other side of the pickup.
    I would twist the 3 wires from the pickup.
    Try moving the capacitor from the middle wiper of volume to the pickup side of the volume.
    I don't see a bridge ground wire. You need that.
    Try wiring it like below.
    You will have to substitute your wire colors.
    You have an extra green wire that will ground the pickup covers.
    Good luck,
    Terry
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks for the helpful info!
      I soldered the bridge wire out just to get the electronic parts out of the bass body, so that's why it's missing.

Couple of questions more:

What do you think about a 100k vol pot? The old pots are crappy and are gonna be substituted, but it seems that 100k pots for guitars are hard to find. I have heard that 250k pot would put the "resonance peak" somewhat higher and make the bass tone brighter, am I right? What if I want to retain the original sound, do you have any suggestions for 100k pot manufacturers?

Does it make a difference if the cap is soldered to the middle wiper instead of the mic end? I will probably solder it "by the book" but just for general intrest.

Comment

most single coil basses and guitars use 250K Pots.
        You can try the Tone Cap both ways.
        That is the old 50s vs. Modern wiring dilema.
        It effects the volume rolloff.
        I think if you go to 250k Pots, you will need to move it like the Seymour Duncan diagram.
        Just try it on both sides.
        Do you know what your Pickup Mic Measures in Ohms?
        If the pickup comes a part, It could be rewound.
        If its good I wouldn't mess with it, looks like an antique.
        Good Luck,
        Terry
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X