Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to learn more about my old Pickups

Hi people,

i would like a bit more about my pickups. I bought them almost 30 years ago in a german semiacoustic (an old heavily modded Fasan which needs massive restauration), where they must have been put in around 1974/1975. Yesterday i put them into a Samick Greg Bennet Royale III.

Some details i know: obviously both pickups are bridge pickups, aren't they? The pickups carry Patent No stickers, not PAF stickers.

Comapred to the (80s? Neck?) PU also by Gibson i use in a DYI built guitar these pickups are both extraordinarily brilliant and yet transparent, and they have much more output than the "PAF". Which sometimes makes them hard to amplify. They have "long legs" and unlike the PAF can be fitted in guitars with jazz guitar bridges.

What i would like to learn: about when have they been manufactured. For which type of guitar?
    Of practical importance: what is known on the corresponding neck pickup? Does it sound differently? How? Electrical resistance?

Thanks for any help

Beate
    Attached Files

Gibson didn't make bridge and neck pickups back then. But since one logo is not upside down on one of them, you have a set and they are in the guitar the same way. Obviously they aren't PAFs, since they didn't have the embossed logo in the covers.

Gibson embossed their name on the covers in 1972. They phased them out rather soon after that. I had heard part of the reason was that they had to stock neck/bridge covers and dealers complained, since they could no longer just swap out pickups. So those pickups are from 1972-73. They used them in a bunch of guitars at the time, such as LP Customs and SGs and a few other models.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      ...and they are in the guitar the same way. ...
      They are in the guitar that way because i installed them that way. Have a look at the wearing of the cover of the bridge PU - that one served as the neck PU in my other guitar, and it had been mounted in reversed order. But they sound quite good the way it is now, at least if i use a speaker/amp combi which is not too trebly (through my former Fender Silverface Twin Reverb they were too sharp...)

Comment

Both of those pickups are the same under the covers. Just the covers are different for neck/bridge.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Those are really Sharp looking!
          Cool Guitar.
          Terry
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Working...
          X