Help with a wiring schematic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a wiring schematic

Continuing my Epi SG Junior/MelodyMaker/whateveritis build, I've come up with a mental image of how I'd like it to perform, but no idea how to actually wire it up.

What I need is a three-way switch for pickup selection, but also a series/parallel switch, and all that feeding into a volume and tone control. So I'd like it to select between neck-only/neck-and-bridge/bridge-only and then series/parallel the output of that. I know S/P will only work if both are selected, but I'd like to retain all four modes of work (neck, n+b, n||b, bridge). I know it could be done with a 4-pos rotary, but given the guitar I'd rather do it with two switches.

The volume and tone aren't a problem, but the selector and series/parallel are troubling me. Can it be done with an SPDT/DPDT on-on-on (in the pickup selector position on the guitar) and a DPDT on-on push-pull or push-push? I'd rather keep the control layout (selector, vol, tone, output jack).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Stealth; 11-23-2011, 12:00 AM.
    Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
    Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Is your 3-way a right angle switch like this?

STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for 3-Pickup Right-angle Switch

I don't have a Visio drawing of it yet, but I've drawn it up on paper & what you want is doable with a 3-way On/On/On toggle and a SPDT toggle.

You'll have this switching:

Parallel Mode:

1. Bridge
    2. Neck & Bridge in Parallel
    3. Neck

Series Mode:

1. Bridge
    2. Neck & Bridge in Series
    3. Neck

I'll try to draw it up in the next day or 2.
    ST in Phoenix

Comment

My three-way is this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	EP-4366-023.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	823530

I got it simply because it was cheap and it's a three-way on-on-on (left, both, right). Center lug is out, side lugs are for a pickup each - will test tomorrow as they're in the P.O.

Thanks for taking the time.
      Last edited by Stealth; 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM.
      Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Comment

You can't get the clean switching where only the middle position changes with that type of switch. It functions like the standard LP switch. You need a DPDT On/On/On switch.

Now my hand drawn circuits are at home but IIRC, if you use a 3-way switch like you've got and you use a 2nd switch to connect the pups in series, you end up with one of the other 3-way positions also being the series connection.
        ST in Phoenix

Comment

I'll try to fish a DPDT on-on-on out somewhere, then, I might have one in the parts bin.

Comment

I bought one of these recently.

3 Way Toggle Switch On On On DP3T For Guitar / Amp, One Toggle Switch | eBay

It's what you would expect quality-wise. I don't know how it will hold up over time, but it has the right look for a pickup selector switch, fits in small cavities, and it's not too expensive. Takes about 2 weeks to get, like most things from Hong Kong.
            ST in Phoenix

Comment

Or, for a little more they'll throw in a couple of mini toggles, too (On/On/On). Such a deal!

One 3 Way Toggle Switch + Two Mini Toggle Switch On On On DP3T Guitar | eBay

I like how they mention that you should use a low wattage soldering iron. I buy these kinds of switches for testing and I find that the plastic usually melts when you try to de-solder wires from them. You basically get one shot.
              ST in Phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by Phostenix View Post
                Or, for a little more they'll throw in a couple of mini toggles, too (On/On/On). Such a deal!

One 3 Way Toggle Switch + Two Mini Toggle Switch On On On DP3T Guitar | eBay
                You can get them locally and not have to pay $15 shipping from Hong Kong!
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  You can get them locally and not have to pay $15 shipping from Hong Kong!
                  Shipping is $2.70. 3 switches & shipping for less than $13.
                  ST in Phoenix

Comment

Well, I've spent the afternoon trying to solve this puzzle and haven't been able to. Even with an On/On/On toggle switch, I can't get all of the switching to get the choices you want. Searching the internet hasn't given me any clues, either.

I can do this with a 2P3T switch like a Tele has, but not a 3-way toggle.
                    ST in Phoenix

Comment

This could be done with a 4PDT On/On/On toggle switch, but they are kind of hard to come by & usually pricey. The 4PDT O/On/On can be wired as 2 SP3T switches, which is what is needed to get the functionality you're looking for.

I keep trying to find some way to make this work, but it always ends up with either a duplicate position or a dead position (or both). Frustrating.
                      ST in Phoenix

Comment

Here's what I've come up with using a 4PDT On-On-On 3-way toggle switch. Then, the challenge is finding that switch....

ST in Phoenix

Comment

Originally posted by Phostenix View Post
                          Then, the challenge is finding that switch....
                          Amazon.com: DiMarzio Three Position On/On/On 4PDT Pickup Selector Switch: Musical Instruments
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Well, your local isn't exactly my local, what with me being in Croatia in Europe, so Amazon and the rest'd rip me a new one with P&H alone. Then again, purely my fault as I didn't fill out my location on the forum.

However, I think I saw a 4PDT on-on-on in a local shop in my block, and I've got a definite source for a push-pull DPDT, so it might be workable, or I'll source both of those and extras from Banzai in Germany, as their postage rates are cheaper towards here. Now I just have to see how much of the wood will have to go - the box won't fit in the cavity where the angled switch should be so some rasping and filing will have to be done, but there's plenty of space under the pickguard.

Thanks for the input, everyone, I'll let you know how it goes in a week or so.

Comment

Working...
                            X