Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hipshot supertone variant

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • hipshot supertone variant

    Hi everyone,

    i am considering the hipshot supertone for a new DIY bass project, a not too close replica of the Gibson RD Bass with body made of swamp ash. The neck is an old Framus short scale neck which was originally intended for an EB-3 clone. Hence Gibson string spacing and -height is needed.

    The bridge i am considering the the Hipshot supertone. Since it is a new build i have the freedom to design it either for the replacement of the 2 point bridge or that of the 3 point bridge. From optical reasons i would prefer the smaller variant.

    I am, however, not sure if the 2-point replacement has any technical shortcomings compared to the 3 point replacement, notably concerning the range of string adjustment and the distance between saddles and string holders.

    Does anybody here happem to know?

    Forther more: i did not see any documentatation which mounting swcrews are supplied with the two point bridge (in contrast to the 3-point variant). Again - does anybody happen to know?

    Thanks for any help!

    Beate

  • #2
    The three point is better. Schecter makes a better bass bridge, and it's easy to buy and install.

    Comment


    • #3
      Had a look into ebay and on Schecters site and found:

      Schecter does not sell any replacement parts, just complete guitars and basses. Many of the quality parts found on Schecter guitars and basses can be found at your local retailer. They may also be available through online parts dealers.
      As i already noted i need to use the Gibson specific string spacing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by bea View Post
        Had a look into ebay and on Schecters site and found:



        As i already noted i need to use the Gibson specific string spacing.
        That's interesting, I just bought a Schecter bass bridge and put it on my bass.
        The string spacing is adjustable on that bridge.

        If you have a Gibson bass, buy a Gibson bridge. Genuine Gibson parts are widely available.

        Comment


        • #5
          As i already wrote, i do not own a Gibson bass. I want to build kind of a replica of an RD bass based on a 25 year old neck made by Framus (the makers of Warwick basses). Specifically that one:



          and for the curious, here is the wood - 3 piece swamp ash. The target neck is the lower one made of laminated beech.



          And here a photo of the instrument that neck had originally been intended for:



          Its dimensions match those of the EB-3 that bass is modeled after. Thats the reason why i need Gibson spacing. Another one is that i like relatively narrow string spacing on basses...

          Comment


          • #6
            The spacing on the Hipshot is adjustable too. I like the aluminum Hipshot bridges, and have them on all my basses. I have to mention that I am a Hipshot dealer, so I'm biased. lol

            I'm going to be building myself a Les Paul Triumph copy, and I'm going to use one of the Supertone bridges. They make a two piece bridge as well.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. Albert Einstein


            http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

            Comment


            • #7
              In order to more or less close this thread, here the result. Optically mostly final. Incredible sustain, well balanced and very comfortable to play.
              The two point hipshot is great. The PUs are a pair of Viva 11/2 humbuckers - blades, ceramic magnet, overwound. DC some 14 k. Resonance at 560 pF: 4,1 kHz (serial 2.5 kHz).

              Tone: very deep fundamental, weak in the upper bass/lower mid registers. Improves with 820 pF in parallel. I need a bit more warmth and maybe a bit less output in the lowest octave (which is musically not too important but eats up a lot of amplifier power...)

              I think of doing my own PUs. First ideas: sidewinder designs - i like the sound of the Epi Low-Z sidewinders after my modifications. But that raises several questions (hopefully interesting ones...) i would like to ask soon in a different thread.


              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
                That's interesting, I just bought a Schecter bass bridge and put it on my bass.
                The string spacing is adjustable on that bridge.

                If you have a Gibson bass, buy a Gibson bridge. Genuine Gibson parts are widely available.
                A Schecter or a Schaller? I bet you bought a Schaller 3D bridge.

                The Hipshot bridges are 200 times better than a stupid Gibson bridge. Why would you even suggest such a thing?
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. Albert Einstein


                http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bea View Post
                  In order to more or less close this thread, here the result. Optically mostly final. Incredible sustain, well balanced and very comfortable to play.
                  The two point hipshot is great. The PUs are a pair of Viva 11/2 humbuckers - blades, ceramic magnet, overwound. DC some 14 k. Resonance at 560 pF: 4,1 kHz (serial 2.5 kHz).

                  Tone: very deep fundamental, weak in the upper bass/lower mid registers. Improves with 820 pF in parallel. I need a bit more warmth and maybe a bit less output in the lowest octave (which is musically not too important but eats up a lot of amplifier power...)

                  I think of doing my own PUs. First ideas: sidewinder designs - i like the sound of the Epi Low-Z sidewinders after my modifications. But that raises several questions (hopefully interesting ones...) i would like to ask soon in a different thread.


                  That came out great!
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. Albert Einstein


                  http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X