electric noise problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric noise problem

HI, I have a guitar with 1 single, 1 humbucker, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3way switch. Here is my problem: when touching the humbucker mounting screw an electric buzz/noise appears. It goes down when I touch the strings with the other hands. So bridge grounding should be OK. I look at the other ground/shield wire on the volume pot casing and they look ok. I don't have the problem on the single PU. I'm not sure what to look next? Can you guide me? Can the humbucker be defective?

Thanks.

JErry

Originally posted by jerry8jb View Post
    HI, I have a guitar with 1 single, 1 humbucker, 1 vol, 1 tone, 3way switch. Here is my problem: when touching the humbucker mounting screw an electric buzz/noise appears. It goes down when I touch the strings with the other hands. So bridge grounding should be OK. I look at the other ground/shield wire on the volume pot casing and they look ok. I don't have the problem on the single PU. I'm not sure what to look next? Can you guide me? Can the humbucker be defective?

Thanks.

JErry
    Uodate, the nois also goes away if the tone is move all the way to the bass side...

Comment

i remember i had this same problem with a guitar years ago.
      it drove me crazy. i can't remember though what i did to fix it in the end. sorry!
      if i do recall something i'll let you know

_______
      Johnny
      http://www.guitars101.com

Comment

Hi John,

After another inspection I found that the wire bringing power to the switch was in reverse...it still puzzle me why the single coil was OK, and that the noise was going down by moving the tone pot...

Thanks,

Jerry

Comment

Originally posted by jerry8jb View Post
          Hi John,

After another inspection I found that the wire bringing power to the switch was in reverse...it still puzzle me why the single coil was OK, and that the noise was going down by moving the tone pot...
          Because the humbucker has a metal baseplate... and that's grounded. When the wire was backwards, that plate was hot, and picked up noise. Single coils don't have ground planes like that, and you can reverse the wires with impunity... unless they are Tele pickups.

The reason the tone control helped was it cut off the high frequencies where the buzz was.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X