Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a No Load Pot as a Spin & Split ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a No Load Pot as a Spin & Split ??

I have a Fender Jim Root Strat Mahogany Body which is routed a little different than reg Strat and really only has room for 3 controls ie 2 vols & Tone or Vol, Tone , 3 way toggle ect..

I want to use the the following set up but am not sure what happen when the no load pot hits 10 and is taken out of the curcuit. Vol, Spin and Split (No Load, Bridge Hum) and Tone without a switch I am hopping that at 0 on the spin and split I'll get Hum/Hum tone, and then as the No Load is turned up it will tap one coil of the Bridge until it reached 9 giving me Hum/Single tone's and then at 10 when the no load pot is removed from the cuircut that I Get Neck hum only.

Is will that work? What happens to the pickup that the spin and split is attached to at 10 when there is no load on the pot?

Gary

A little more detail & Diagram

Here is a pic of the Spin and Split and volume wiring I will use. But again the main question is what happens to the pickup at 10 when the no load pot is taken out of the curcuit. Is the pick on full or off?

Click image for larger version

Name:	S&S.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	823927

Comment

The red and white wired are the series connection between the two coils in the humbucker. When that pot is at zero, that connection is grounded, and you only hear one of the coils. When the pot is at 10, which is the "no load" part of the pot, you have the full humbucker.

What's being "taken out of the circuit" is the series connection is being removed from the part of the pot that connects to ground. The hot wire (black) from the pickup is still connected as is the ground (green).

If you want to get a single coil tone from the bridge pickup, and still be able to switch between pickups, you can use a push/pull pot for the volume control. That's what I have on my 3 pickup Tele style guitar to switch the bridge dual blade humbucker from series to parallel.

You can also wire up a regular tone control to split pickups. Peavey has been doing this for a while. It works like a regular tone control until it's on 10, and then it splits the pickup to a single coil. From 9 down it's a humbucker.

You can see how to do that here: FDP - Forum
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

The image mentions a "special pot" - could it be the one with an S-taper?
        Pickup prototype checklist: [x] FR4 [x] Cu AWG 42 [x] Neo magnets [x] Willpower [ ] Time - Winding suspended due to exams.

Originally posted by David Schwab
        Then you have neos... which is a fuzzy bunny wrapped in barbed wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
          The image mentions a "special pot" - could it be the one with an S-taper?
          I'm not sure, but I've done it with regular tone controls.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X