Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird intonation issues - nut location/slotting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tried the capo -- same thing. I did not re-intonate for the capo at the 1st fret, just retuned to proper pitch -- basically, 13th fret is reasonably in tune, lower frets are sharp, higher frets are still really flat. I didn't perceive any difference in the degree of the problem.

So I guess this takes the nut out of the equation.

Comment

Is the bridge in the correct location? Did anyone put a new bridge on? Also, is the neck sitting in the pocket correctly? Is it the original neck?

You know, it also might be too short for baritone tuning. How heavy are the strings? Heavier strings tend to be stiff and that will make them sharp by the anchoring points, which in the case is the nut, or capo. This is the same kind of thng you get with short scale basses. They are often hard to get in tune all over the neck.

And you should be able to get the higher frets in tune by adjusting the bridge saddles.

The neck angle wont do anything except make the action higher or lower.

Did this guitar play in tune at standard pitch with regular gauge strings?
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Please check that the strings are not old or worn out. I have had so many customers complaining of intonation issues and when they turn up with the guitar the strings are black or rusty. It sounds to easy to be true but it happens a lot more than it should.

Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Working...
        X