PAF-style pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAF-style pickups

I'm tryin' ta find a pair of four-wire PAF-style pickups. There are so many different people offerin' PAF pickups, hot PAF pickups (though I find that somewhat confusing), and prices that vary wildly. They're goin' in an Epi LP that I want to wire up like my PRS (rotary selector, sweet switch). Opinions solicited and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    dB

are you looking for a classic PAF sound or something more modern with a hint of vintage?

in either case, there's plenty to choose from

Seymour Duncan: SH-1 '59 model, SH-55 Seth Lover model, SH-PG1 Pearly Gates, PATB-3 Blues Saraceno
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/humbuckers.shtml

DiMarzio: DP103 PAF, DP194/195 PAF Classic, DP196/197 Virtual PAF, DP214 Virtual Hot PAF, DP190/191 Air Classic, DP213 PAF Joe (satriani), DP151 PAF Pro (I have one of these in the neck position on one of my guitars...sounds beautiful for blues, jazz, metal, rock, light chord work...very versatile and balanced sound)
    http://www.dimarzio.com

there's also tons of smaller pickup manufacturers that make their own versions of PAFs as well as hotter versions.

Ultimately though, you gotta decide what kinda sound you want outta these pickups. Do some research, find out what these pickups sound like (most manufacturers usually have sound clips) and then figure out which ones would be right for you!

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for your input, but what I'm looking for is a real-sounding PAF, not "modern with a hint of vintage", not hot, not overwound, but with four-wire connectability. I've played the DiMarzio, Seymours, and a couple others, but all were two-wire. I'm beginning to think I'll need to have a set wound, or disassemble a couple old 'buckers and wind 'em myself.

I talked to a custom pickup builder at the guitar show in Dallas last weekend, and he specifically mentioned a resistance between 7.5 and 8K. Didn't ask what sort of inductance value he was targeting, but I'm sure I can find that in the literature available on the interneck. Q factor? Didn't metion that, either.

Comment

Just get a 2 wire pickup you like and change the lead to 4 conductor.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Just about any Seymour Duncan pickup can be ordered with four conductor wiring. The Duncan models which closest resemble what you're looking for would be the Seth Lover, '59, or Pearly Gates neck. There are also a bunch of guys on the pickup makers forum here who would be delighted to make you a killer set of 'buckers with four conductor wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweetfinger View Post
            Just about any Seymour Duncan pickup can be ordered with four conductor wiring. The Duncan models which closest resemble what you're looking for would be the Seth Lover, '59, or Pearly Gates neck. There are also a bunch of guys on the pickup makers forum here who would be delighted to make you a killer set of 'buckers with four conductor wire.
            Thanks Sweetfinger. I'm glad someone told him about the pickup makers section, sheesh it was starting to sound like a Seymour and dimarzio sales event around here.

If I was looking for an amp this forum would be the first place i'd check

Comment

Originally posted by diode breath View Post
              I'm tryin' ta find a pair of four-wire PAF-style pickups. There are so many different people offerin' PAF pickups, hot PAF pickups (though I find that somewhat confusing), and prices that vary wildly. They're goin' in an Epi LP that I want to wire up like my PRS (rotary selector, sweet switch). Opinions solicited and greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
              dB
              So what is used in the sweet switch? The last discussion I remember it was something like an analog delay chip. Is there a source for it?

I hear a lot of complaints from guitarists about the rotary switch- especially for a vintage sound you might want to stick with the standard 3 way toggle switch.

I don't know if you have any old PAF-style pickups lying around, but changing out the magnets can give them a new lease on life. I'm not sure in AMPGE is still in business, but I'd order a whole sh*tload of magnets from him: A2, A3, A4 and a few A5 (most of my pickups already have A5 in them so I don't have to order many of those). Humbuckers use 1 magnet; P-90's use 2.

In any case if the windings are close to original PAF specs (like 7 to 9k DC resistance), replacing the magnet with a different variety might give it a more vintage sound without having to spend a lot of money on boutique pickups.

Steve Ahola

P.S. I believe that the original PAF's were unpotted so if your pickups are potted you might not get a vintage PAF tone.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

http://music-electronics-forum.com/s...ead.php?t=2323 explains the sweet switch. At audio frequencies, I don't think the delay line does anything that a series R-C network or even a small capacitor wouldn't.
                "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  So what is used in the sweet switch? The last discussion I remember it was something like an analog delay chip. Is there a source for it?
                  It's not an analog delay chip, like you would find in a pedal. It's more a bunch of coils and caps (LC network). They use these things in data circuits.

Try looking here: http://www.datadelay.com/. Look at the link of the left that says "Passive Delay Lines". I'm not sure if this is the exact same thing used by PRS, but I think it is the same type of device.

I'd go with a small value cap and a resistor myself.

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
                  I believe that the original PAF's were unpotted so if your pickups are potted you might not get a vintage PAF tone.
                  That's correct. Gibson never wax potted any of their pickups until more recently. If you want vintage tone, don't pot the pickup.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                  X