Lack of noise at higher frets???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lack of noise at higher frets???

Okay so I was playing my fender strat, and I realized on my B string (and my E string but not as badly or on as many frets) when I try to play the fret, it basically doesn't play. It sounds like it would if you were playing the fret and palm muting on a clean amp. It doesn't sound good at all :/ is there any way to fix this? Any help is appreciated, and thanks!
    -Steven

Your action and/or pickups may be out of adjustment and/or your frets are worn. any issues you cannot detect, like what is muting the string, can be fixed by a repair shop.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Very often Fenders get a hump at the end of the neck where it sits on the body. If your action is low it will cause the nots to fret out when you play up on the neck.

Sometimes a setup will fix it, but if it's a bad enough hump the frets will need to be leveled at the end of the neck and if that doesn't help, the last 8 or so frets must be removed so that the fingerboard can be leveled, and then refretted.

Try raising your action a little on those strings, and also make sure the neck is not back bowed.
      Last edited by David Schwab; 06-27-2012, 02:38 AM.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
        Sometimes a setup will fix it, but if it's a bad enough hump the frets will need to be leveled at the end of the neck and if that doesn't help, the last 8 or so frets must be removed so that the fingerboard can be leveled, and then regretted.
        Maybe, but if it were me, I'd bring the guitar to someone who will probably improve the guitar and whose work I trust.

Comment

Well, the OP is long gone. But I'm "subscribed" to this thread. so...

When the OP said:

Originally posted by guitarguy11695 View Post
          when I try to play the fret, it basically doesn't play. It sounds like it would if you were playing the fret and palm muting on a clean amp. It doesn't sound good at all
          Now, I'll grant that the OP is likely a kid (SN guitarguy11695 = male, believes playing guitar is all that matters and is 17 years old) but with the lack of cognisance I figured there was no real point in trying to diagnose the problem or even attempt to inform the OP. If the OP can't even recognize what the strings are bottoming out on, trying to explain things like neck curvature, truss adjustment and scale lengths is probably not going to hit home in any meaningful way. He's better off taking his broken guitar to a shop and spend his own time playing. JMHO

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
            Maybe, but if it were me, I'd bring the guitar to someone who will probably improve the guitar and whose work I trust.
            It's the damn auto spelling correction in OS X!
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by Electricaudio
              unfortunately,the guitar is in me anymore..
              Not to poke too much fun (as I don't speak a second language at all)... But that sounds like it hurts!

Comment

Working...
              X