Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• definitlely low tech, curious anyway.

tonequester here.

Outside of hearing many times that Billy Gibbons uses a peso as a pick, and long ago trying out some metal finger-picks, I had never given thought to using
    a metal flat-pick. Then I stumbled upon an add for flat-picks made of steel, brass, and even copper. I'm a scrapper and a scrounger of trashed electronic components, and
    awhile back had torn an old analog telephone apart looking for any goodies present. For some reason, I saved the brass bell, which i had noticed had a good ring to it when
    struck. Seeing the add, something clicked and I went to work on the bell, flattening it out best the best I could. I used my usual Tortex pick to trace it's pattern on the flattened brass, hacked it out roughly, and then used a bench grinder to refine the shape. I used a diamond flat hone to get it pretty smooth and the thickness close to what
    I'm used to. I finished it to a bright shine and slightly tapered the edges with a fret eraser from Stewart-MacDonald. When I tried it out on my electric(unplugged), it was a
    shocking change in tone and volume. My amps in the shop for warranty repair so I haven't heard it plugged in yet. Has anyone out there had any experiences with such
    an experiment? Do you find that brass shortens string life ? I would expect steel to do so. As I said, this is just a curiosity thing. I've been playing around with the one that
    I cobbled up for a few days and really like it so far, and can't wait to here it through my amp. No broken strings yet. Any and all replies are welcome and appreciated.
    tonequester.

Brian May uses a sixpence!

Comment

I usually play with all ten fingers, but when I use a pick I like a little flexibility. I've made them from metal,plastics,MOP,etc. Hated em' all. To me they feel like the proverbial "raincoat in the shower".

Comment

Originally posted by kilphody View Post
        To me they feel like the proverbial "raincoat in the shower".
        What is THAT meant to describe?.. Just kidding.

When I was younger I tried some home made metal picks in an attempt to get the Billy Gibbons effect. It worked alright for flase harmonics and general squanking around. I abandoned it for my usual MO when I became bored with the novelty. But it does work. The pick IS part of the chain of events that make the sound. Since that chain is relatively short, every difference is notable in a significant, audible way, IMHE.

I never did tempered brass (though you likely burned out the temper when shaping with power tools). I used a couple of quarters. Having read that rev. Billy made his own picks from them himself. I simply forged them (sans heat) with a pair of pliers and a hammer. Then smoothed them out with fine abrasives. Heavey and very different feeling. Thin hardened brass sounds like it might be much nicer.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

The pick has a big influence on your tone. I prefer the little Dunlop Tortex jazz ones. They have a tweezy little point that gives a nice bright attack. I never liked metal picks or coins.

Using your right hand thumb and fingers classical-style gives a completely different tone again. If you want to fire off fat jazz licks like Wes Montgomery, you pretty much have to pick with your thumb. But then the length of your fingernails affects the tone. I found that mine tend to wear thin and break off, always at the worst possible moment mid-gig.
          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
            But then the length of your fingernails affects the tone. I found that mine tend to wear thin and break off, always at the worst possible moment mid-gig.
            They (the proverbial "they" as I don't know the specifics) make special nail coatings for hardening and toughening. Flamenco guitarists traditionally paint their nails with black enamel. It just depends on how you play and how far you want to take it I guess.

A quick search offered this: flamenco guitarist nails tips and advice flamenco guitar and guitarists

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

Tonequester- To get back to your OP, I wonder how long Dunlop's " Reverend Willie's Mexican Lottery" .007 E holds up against a Peso.
              I think the thing to remember is what sounds and feels good to you in your quest for tone. IMHO it's not what you do it with but what you do with it-.
              PC

Comment

tonequester

Comment

tonequester here.

Wanted to reply, but somethings wrong with my new laptop evidently. I finished 2 replies which suddenly disappeared into thin air before i could finish Almost everytime I hit the space bar something screwy happens.. never seen this one before. sorry to all. hope to reply soon. tonequester.

Comment

tonequwster here.

Hopefully wmy keyboard peoblem is passed history.NoeCalTune, thanks for the revelation that brian may uses a sixpence for a pic. I'll have to Google to find out what a sixpence is made of !Kilphody. I can sympathize with using all10 digits. I took several years of classical lessons before O lost a good portion of my finger tips in an industrial accident. That
                    ended my fingerstyle as I have no feeling in them. I have to use a large and thick pick with a course gripping surface just to play flat-pick without problems. I didn't realize that "reverans Willie" uses .007's. He sure doesnt lack for tone. I use .011's and have for years. Thanks for the reply and glad to "meet yoiu". Steve Conner. Thanks for the reply. I used to like the small,
                    thick, and tapered jazz picks before my accident. Usually, I always seemed to have good control with them. The picks that I use are generally about three times the size now, and I have a harder time controlling them. I have learned over the years to use a metal finger pick on my ring finger, and can get my middle finger involved with practice, but the tone is not very good.
                    I,ve been through nail hardener, polish, and even players nails, but didn't have much luck with them. I too suffer from split nails on my right hand. They split from the edge all the way down to the quick. Before I tried metal, i alwaysed thich Tortex. I hope I get my Third Ht-1R soon
                    so I can here the brass pick through an amp. Thanks again to all who responded. Tonequester.

Comment

I use a rounded side three point pick made by Fender (see image). Dunlop makes them in "tortex" too if you prefere that. I got hooked on them a long time ago and I can't even use more typical pick shapes comfortably anymore. Comfortable to handle and three picking ends. Gotta love that. I tried the triangle pick too but it didn't do it for me. Harder to get false harmonics with the really sharp angle. Anyhoo... It's a big pick, but seems to manage easily for articulation. Maybe give them a try. That they last three times longer is REALLY nice too. I haven't bought a pick in years. I just keep using the old ones from when I was a real guitarist with a gigging band. All my old ones are white (easier to spot if you have to pick them up on a dark stage). When the band split I bought a few dozen tortoise shell because I like the nostalgic look.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Tonequester-
                        I don't know if Billy uses .007, but I thought the "Rev Willie" endorsement in relation to using a peso amusing ..All of my tips are so callused I think my touch is basically intuitive at this point. I play mostly blues in a southern Texas style (whatever that is lol) that is often compared to Derek Trucks.( HA. Before he was born) Johnny Winter plays with a big thumb pick. Make the best music with what you got. I wish I still had my front teeth...

Comment

Oh, I play in a style that is often compared to Mack Trucks.

Brian May famously uses an English silver sixpence as a pick.

Sixpence (British coin) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                          Brian May's Equipment

I've tried various coins but oddly enough, none of them made me play like Brian May. I didn't like the attack I got from any of them.
                          "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Originally posted by kilphody View Post
                            I usually play with all ten fingers, but when I use a pick I like a little flexibility. I've made them from metal,plastics,MOP,etc. Hated em' all. To me they feel like the proverbial "raincoat in the shower".
                            If you have good picking technique, where you pick every note, then you would not want a flexible pick. You lose a lot of speed while the pick is flexing. This is why people end up using coins and the like.

I use to use this stainless steel pick I made.

Now I just use the purple tortex picks. Metal picks will give you a very different tone.
                            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                              I use to use this stainless steel pick I made.

For playing guitar? Or for cutting down foes?

I agree on the heavy picks. Well... Not heavy as in weight, but stiff. I only use light picks for some acoustic strumming effects. When other guitar players ask me if they can use my pick, I hand them my big three pointed "heavy" pick. They look at it like I just handed them a piece of a turd.

Comment

Working...
                              X