Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"NUT'S". One more question concerning replacement of a pvc nut. Kramer guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "NUT'S". One more question concerning replacement of a pvc nut. Kramer guitar.

tonequester here.

From the first time that I checked out the cheap, Kramer Focus 111s that I ended up buying from my favorite pawn shop, I knew that I'd have to ditch the plastic nut. I've chosen to modify or replace several other things first, mostly because I,ve only changed a nut once, circa 1980. I got real lucky then, especially since I didn't have the proper files, which cost as much as a tech charges to do the job. I fully admit that a set would be well worth the money, payng for themselves in one jobs time. It's just that money is extremely tight when on disability. I make 1/2 of the average Catholic priest, and I've taken no vow of poverty. I just recieved my nut blank from Stew-Mac, and I ve already roughed it out and polished it as much as I dare, until I remove the old one with the intent of using it as a make shift template to get the new one
    closer to completion, which i will do after installing it. One thing has occured to me and that is the possibility of the neck, under the nut being, or having a radius.
    Does anybody out there perhaps know if the Focus111s, or any other Kramer for that matter, has a radius to account for under the nut ? I would just like to know before I remove the nut. If there is a radiused neck under the existing nut, I may re-think the rest of my plan. I actually even asked my local shop if they had any radius guages( more to find out my necks radius out of curiosity) and to my surprise, they did not. They do re-frets !? I would as always appreciate any opinions, tips, advice
    concerning this issue. I need not say that I'm hopoing that there is a flat surface under that pvc nut. tonequester.

Quote : "Success is having to worry about every damn thing in the world except money". Johnny Cash

Why do you want to replace the plastic nut? Unless it's not playing well on the first few frets due to the action being high, it won't make much of a difference. It will make zero difference in tone.

The nut slot will either be flat or curved as on Fenders. You can get replacement nut blanks either way. But you want know until you remove the stock nut.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...ring_nuts.html
    Last edited by David Schwab; 07-03-2012, 01:20 AM.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
      Why do you want to replace the plastic nut? Unless it's not playing well on the first few frets due to the action being high, it won't make much of a difference. It will make zero difference in tone.

The nut slot will either be flat or curved as on Fenders. You can get replacement nut blanks either way. But you want know until you remove the stock nut.

STEWMAC.COM : String nuts
      tonequester here. Although others have stated that it would help the tone, I knew better, because one takes the nut out of the equation when one frets a note. as uou said. an open string is a different story. The mani reason for changing it out was the fact that the strings had cut(or been made that way) so deep as to make me feel that it soon would make a problem in the first position. The slots were approximately 1/8" deep, and would even hang up when changing strings. i decided that a bone nut should outlast the pvc nut, and Stew-Mac doesn't even sell them.
      Thanks for your posts now and in the past. i se that you are a pick-up maker. Imay "holler" at you in a while, as this is something that I want to give a try.

Quote : "Age is just a case of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter." Jack Benny
      Last edited by Steve Conner; 07-03-2012, 12:23 PM. Reason: quote repair

Comment

If you have a nut made out of a hard, slippery material with the slots cut just right for your favourite gauge of strings, the strings will slide freely in the slots. That makes the guitar easier to tune and it stays in tune longer too. If the strings are sticking in the slots, it can go out of tune after bending notes.

That's the reason to spend some time and money on the nut, IMO.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Advice Taken.

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
          If you have a nut made out of a hard, slippery material with the slots cut just right for your favourite gauge of strings, the strings will slide freely in the slots. That makes the guitar easier to tune and it stays in tune longer too. If the strings are sticking in the slots, it can go out of tune after bending notes.

tonequester here.

I hope all is well in Glasgow ! I have had the experience that you warn against. I did some checking, and found out that the wound strings should be 1/2 the string diameter deep, and the un-wound strings should no more than the full string diameter deep. I followed this rule. I finished the slots with thoroughly soaked 400 grit, wet or dry silicon carbide. As I always do, I treated nut slots and saddle slots with a mixture of silicon and moly. After the initial tune and stretch, which I do until
          all strings no longer go flat, I played hard for over an hour with no problems. I awoke this morning to find that the guitar had NOT exploded. It took me over 6 hours to finish the nut, and was quite lucky. I'll never do one again with out the proper tools, all of them. I appreciate your concern, and figured(with good reason) that I'd botch it.
          By all accounts, I should have. Now I have the "Project" up to snuff acoustically. The only thing to do now, is a complete pick-up change with a couple of mods, all quality pots and switches, and new wiring itself. This is more familiar turf for me, which means that this will probably where disaster will strike !
          Have a great day in all you attempt. Tonequester, now with a "nut" to stand on !

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post

+1

It's a lot of work to make a good nut. It can be done DIY, and in fact you can learn how to do any guitar work needed. But if you don't have the skill level go to someone who does.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
            X