Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pultruded CF tube neck/chambered tone

Greetings-
    Anyone use these? Thinking resonance/chambered after a thread about the Rev-
    PS-Beating the crap out of the 12 w/silver dollars

Hello esteemed colleagues and fellow electric guitar makers-
    I went ahead and put two of these in a mahogany and cocobolo thru-neck for one of my " birds" channeled on both sides of the TR. Will be a few weeks before I can string up and plug in with any observations. I'd hate to waste all that work carving the neck if it sounds (to me) like crap.
    More on this later-
    PC

Comment

Thinking resonance/chambered after a thread about the Rev-
      PS-Beating the crap out of the 12 w/silver dollars
      You should try to rephrase your question, because I don't think anyone has a clue what you are talking about. That's why no one replied to this.

I use CF rods in my necks. I don't use the tubes, but if they are stiff enough, why not. There is no resonance taking place because they are hollow, if that's what you are asking. A stiffer neck has no dead spots and a very even tone from note to note. It won't sound like crap. Most builders agree it improves the tone.

Remember that the neck will sound brighter when you first string it up. After a few days under string tension it will mellow out a little.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thank you David for the reply. I'll be more clear in future posts. I have used carbon fiber before, just never the tubes. They are indeed quite stiff. My client uses heavy flat-wounds (D'Addario 13-56) which exert +-183 lbs. tension hence my concern with reinforcement. I hope to be pleasantly surprised tone-wise!
        Now where did I hear Billy Gibbons has a Tele with a chambered neck? lol.
        PC

Comment

Originally posted by kilphody View Post
          Now where did I hear Billy Gibbons has a Tele with a chambered neck? lol.
          PC
          Oh, that was the Rev reference! When I worked at American Showster we made him a red 57 Chevy guitar. I haven't heard that about his neck, however, you can use very light wood for the neck. The chambering doesn't really do much, just make the wood lighter.

The early Parker Fly guitars used basswood for the necks. This was reinforced with CF.

My former building partner used poplar for a neck on this LP Jr. The idea was from an old Danelectro I have with a poplar neck. The guitar also had a korina body and a curly oak top. The neck really gave the guitar a very vocal tone.

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X