Les Paul Stop Tail Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul Stop Tail Problem

The stop tail anchors on my Les Paul copy have started to lift out of the body, looks like the holes in the body have become enlarged.
    At present, they are sitting at an angle and not flat on the body as they should........ approx 2 - 3mm of the splines can be seen.
    Although the guitar still does hold its tuning this problem spoils the cosmetic effect of the guitar.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to keep the anchors flat in the body of the guitar ?

Originally posted by JoeJoe View Post
    The stop tail anchors on my Les Paul copy have started to lift out of the body, looks like the holes in the body have become enlarged.
    At present, they are sitting at an angle and not flat on the body as they should........ approx 2 - 3mm of the splines can be seen.
    Although the guitar still does hold its tuning this problem spoils the cosmetic effect of the guitar.

Has anyone got any ideas as to what I can do to keep the anchors flat in the body of the guitar ?
    I've bought imports that the inserts were loose.
    I took them out and made sure everything fit right, then I glued them in.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

You will probably have to glue them in.

Be aware that this usually happens when people screw the tailpiece down close to the body. This creates too sharp an angle to the bridge and causes the tailpiece to pull out.

The tailpiece should not be screwed too fat down. You don't want the strings to touch the back of the tune-o-matic bridge.

Some people seem to think that screwing the tailpiece all the way down will improve sustain, but it won't.

It should look something like this is relation to the height of the bridge:

It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

+++

Since all the parts are metal, and already screwed into inserts, any vibration that gets past the bridge makes it into the tailpiece and into the body. No reason to screw the stop tailpiece down so low that the back of the tune-o-matic is contacted. Same goes for string trees. They only need to be low enough to prevent misbehavior on hard attack with open notes. This whole thing with string angle has been blown out of proportion since the late 80's. I think it's been shown that more metal mass can imrove sustain to a point. But string angle only needs to be such that there are no strings jumping out of their slots or vibrating abnormally.

Just glue the inserts. The glue wont necessarily hold onto the metal. But it will swell and harden the wood that holds the insert in place and should work just fine.

P.S. David always has the best pictures to show what he intends.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
          P.S. David always has the best pictures to show what he intends.
          I just Google it until I find something, unless it's a photo I took. That was from one of the LP forums.

But I believe a picture is worth a thousand words. Or a dozen anyway.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
          X