concerning Bill Lawrence Q-filter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tonequester here.

Greetings 52 Bill. The advice is good and well taken, as well as appreciated. The Q-filter is a little bit of a mystery to me. The Wilde pickup ad for it says it's present incarnation is as an RCL network which I could see might have a more complex effect than just an inductor "rolling off bass. However, it only gives inductance as a spec, and as Steve Conner pointed out, the LCR comes in when it is added to the existing tone circuit. The thing that made me think I might try it was the two demos on You Tube. Maybe my ears, or something else fooled me. $24.00 spent is $24.00 wasted if I only get a Bass cut masquerading as a treble boost. At least they have gotten the size down to a 1" cube. You definitely could not fit a humbucker in my Kramer's cavity, although I've seen smaller. Thanks very much for your advice on both counts. Have a great day. tonequester.

Comment

Hey Tonequester , I just saw your thread about the q filter. I've played around with lcr networks a bit and found they work really well with single coils, tuned at their resonant frequency, smooths them out, but not so much with humbuckers. I have them in my lace gold strats but pulled it out of my L-500C , L-45 strat. Anyway the math is here: RLC circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and fig 8 is the circuit. If you use long cables your cable capacitance would have to be considered. attached is a diagram that has a mid cut and a "boost" on one control. Your Q filter would be the inductor vary the cap to change the center frequency. You don't need the "boost" side but I've found it more useful than the cut for humbuckers.Click image for larger version

Name:	midboost.gif
Views:	1
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	825655

Comment

Greetings mojah.

tonequester here. Thanks for the opinion(s) on the Q,-filter which is exactly what I requested in my original post on the subject. It's nice not to be "ragged" about being cheap. I also thank you for the thread to Wiki-RLC circuit. I usually hit Wiki first thing for general info on a variety of subjects, but for some unknown reason did not think to do so on this
        topic. I also appreciate the warning about long cables, and resultant capacitance. I practice with about 8", and won't use over 12" if performing, so i think I'm probably in fair shape there.
        Great thanks for the thumbnail diagram of mid-cut with boost circuit. It sure looks promising. I will print it off and put your "handle" on it so i don't forget who it came from. I'm now collecting such wiring diagrams because I'm pretty close to a complete re-wire with all new controls, new pickups(Bill Lawrence), and perhaps the Q-filter. I'll study your circuit with some others I've collected before I make the choice concerning the Q-filter. I truly appreciate your reply and info. Here's wishing you the best, and success in all of YOUR projects.
        Quote : "Fools despise wisdom and instruction." Proverbs. tonequester out.......for now. P. S. I just came to realize that I'm installing both a single coil and a humbucker, so both the boost and cut may work very well in my circumstance. Thanks again.
        Last edited by tonequester; 08-08-2012, 05:35 AM. Reason: added thought

Comment

Working...
        X