yamaha SBG1300TS trem Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha SBG1300TS trem Q

I've just become the new owner of an '85 SBG1300TS (still in transit). But no trem arm It's the original "Rockin Magic" trem. There was also a Rockin Magic II, a Rockin Magic Pro and Rockin Magic Pro II trem bridges!?! My trem is the plain ol' Rockin Magic. Any ideas what modern arm might fit? In a pinch I'll retrofit something. But I'd sure like it better if I could just screw one in!

TIA

Update/edit: I can't find a Yamaha 1984 cat. But the Rockin Magic bridge for 1985 says "new". I know these guitars were made from late '84 to early '85. Yamaha was already using the Rockin Magic II in the 1985 winter cat. It's starting to look like the sbg1300ts was the only guitar this bridge was ever used on! And there's damn few of these around. At first I thought maybe the Rockin Magic II arm might work. But it looks stouter than the stock arm. AAARRGG! I have an Email in to Yamaha. I'll update it they respond with any useful info.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 08-11-2012, 04:45 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Ok. It was a long shot. After finding out this trem was only ever used on this one model guitar, that was made for less than a year, I didn't figure to get a response. In all my searching I only saw one other guitar with this bridge. Rik Emmett (Triumph) had two custom Yamaha SG3000's made with trem. The trem n these guitars is a gold plated version of the trem used on the SBG1300TS. But that's it. No other reference to this trem anywhere.

No response from Yamaha on the matter either. Even though they did respond to another question that I asked a day later. They just ignored the trem inquiry!?!

So my next move will be to take the guitar to a music store and try all the screw in trem bars they have. If one fits I'll try to order it. If not I'll either modify the bridge to fit a modern bar or make a bar from a piece of rod stock.

Thanks for the 100+ views from people wanting to help. And sorry the question was so obscure.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The only advice I can offer is, since it's a Japanese guitar the thread is likely to be metric. Most likely 5 or 6mm.
      Custom Stainless Steel Tremolo Arms
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Nice link, Steve.
        Thanks.

Comment

Thank you Steve. I do figure it to be some kind of "standard" for the period. And yes, it will be metric. Unfortunately there isn't much to be found for "specs" on vintage Japanese threaded trem bars. So your link could be especially helpful. So my first move can now be to just pop into Ace Hardware (for access to their screw stock) and see what my thread requirement is! If it matches any of these I'm done! Well... This, provided the fitting isn't actually stripped or something. I should get the guitar on Friday afternoon.

Comment

I had to post this... (though no one really cares!)

Yamaha DID finally respond to my trem arm inquiry. They basically said that since the model is so old they don't make the part, but we hope the following information can help. At which point they instructed me to look for one on line. But never gave any specs for the part I was to look for. As if someone else has kept track of this obscure info even though THEY made the guitar and don't know!?! I guess they felt that they had to say SOMETHING.

Comment

Working...
            X