Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favourite string cutting tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your favourite string cutting tool?

Title says it all really. Whatever guitar strings are made of, it seems hard enough to destroy regular wire cutters and cheap cutting pliers. I'm currently using a set of Park Tool cutters intended for bike brake cables, but the jaws are so big that it's hard to get a neat cut near the tuning peg. There must be some better tool that you pro guitar techs all know about.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
    ...it's hard to get a neat cut near the tuning peg...
    Steve,
    For a final "cut" after stringing up I just bend the string back & forth until it breaks off neat. The remaining stub is much closer to the string wrap stack than I can cut. This gives a very clean final result with little chance of catching on anything or stabbing your finger later.
    Tom

Comment

I use a pair of dykes I picked up at a flea market for a few bucks. Looks old, no markings. Really hard metal & sharp as a MF, just the right shape.
      Sorry, I know this is not the answer you're seeking.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Well, it may not have been "the" answer, but it motivated me to do some Google searching on diagonal cutters. Turns out Knipex make "High leverage" ones with hardened jaws specifically rated to cut piano wire.

Sounds like another excuse to buy tools
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

My oldest brother used to own a plumbing supply co. Years ago he gave some diagonal cutters, I think made by Channelocks that I use. They still work great, can cut through the thickest low E no problem.
          "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
          - Yogi Berra

Comment

I use some cheap Diagonals that came in a set from Harbor Freight.
            I use EB Slinky strings, and they cut easy enough!
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
              I use some cheap Diagonals that came in a set from Harbor Freight.
              I use EB Slinky strings, and they cut easy enough!
              You obviously need to go out and get some tougher strings!
              DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
                You obviously need to go out and get some tougher strings!
                I've tried most of them, and it's Ernie Ball for me.
                Plus I get them cheap from mojo.
                T
                "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                Terry

Comment

$250

kidding, I grind down end nippers into flush cutters and cut SS frets, strings, you name it with them

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01198.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	816.5 KB
ID:	825777
                    Results
                    These seem really good, can't remember where I got them.
                    Pete
                    My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Planet Waves winder/cutter like this one

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Conner View Post
                        Title says it all really. Whatever guitar strings are made of, it seems hard enough to destroy regular wire cutters and cheap cutting pliers. I'm currently using a set of Park Tool cutters intended for bike brake cables, but the jaws are so big that it's hard to get a neat cut near the tuning peg. There must be some better tool that you pro guitar techs all know about.
                        These.Click image for larger version

Name:	jnsn36166.gif.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	825792

Comment

I use a pair of dykes from OXO. They normally make kitchen utensils. They look like Dan T's picture, but with fatter black handles.

If they aren't handy I use a big pair of pliers that have a cutting part.

I have to be able to cut bass strings as well, so I need something sturdy.
                          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                            I have to be able to cut bass strings as well, so I need something sturdy.
                            I just use my teeth.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Thanks everyone! I ended up buying a pair of the Knipex high leverage dikes. They look very similar to the picture posted by Dan T, and they munch through a low E string like Michael Phelps through a crate of Super Noodles, or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X