Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be the best table top sander for guitar work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would be the best table top sander for guitar work?

Hey Fellas,

I'm looking at buying a table top sander that has a belt and a round disk on the side to use on guitar work. Harbour freight Tools has some cheapies. I might want to get one there but wanted to ask since I know some guys here are real heavy repair guys.

Thanks

Slobrain
    Last edited by Slobrain; 10-18-2012, 01:52 AM.

My favorite is the Grizzly G1276 Combination Sander. I bought mine around 1995 and it's been a trusty workhorse. It uses a 6" x 48" belt and a 12" disk, as many other similar combo sanders do. What's unusual about the G1276 is that it runs at 1725 rpm, where most others run at 3450 rpm. The slower speed makes it so much more pleasant to use, particularly if you are trying to precisely shape metal and wood parts. The high speed ones, particularly the cheap ones, scream and chatter too much. Check the speed before buying any combo sander.

Also, look at the horsepower. The G1276 is 1 hp, which is what you need to drive a belt and disk of that size. I'd be suspicious of any 6 x 48 machine with less than 1 hp.

G1276 Combination Sander 6" x 48" Belt 12" Disc 1725 RPM

Comment

I used to own that sander. It's very nice. Now I have a cheaper Harbor Freight model.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X