Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a good souce for HB Pickup rings that are the RIGHT size....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a good souce for HB Pickup rings that are the RIGHT size....

Seems all the cheap import humbucker rings are 92MM long when Gibson uses the 89MM length HB rings.

I have been trying to find the flat cream HB rings for a Charvel San Dimas copy I built using a KNE alder body. getting the correct rings are not easy.

On a side note I tried the Floyd Rose Special tremolo on another old Charvel and so far its working like a champ.

Slo

There is actually more than one size that is sold.
    The surest way is to buy "Gibson Gear" or Gibson Historical,
    if you want the Gibson HB size. But flat ones instead of sloped, flat instead of LP curved, you may need to sand them down yourself.
    There is a great deal of aftermarket parts being sold. The market is flooded with them.
    It is frustrating to search for parts that match up with original specs, especially on flat geometry guitar.... Even though it should be simple, its not.
    A flat ring, example, is the flat brass ring sold by, like, allparts. But the screw hole spacing is not matching the original where it screws to the body..the coil frame screw matches up OK...
    Or, there are vendors making rings out of exotic woods, and you could special order flat ones.
    I used to make rosewood rings years ago. just a lot of sanding, hahaha
    But, with San Dimas, we usually look for parts on e bay and grab them when we can.

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
      Seems all the cheap import humbucker rings are 92MM long when Gibson uses the 89MM length HB rings.

I have been trying to find the flat cream HB rings for a Charvel San Dimas copy I built using a KNE alder body. getting the correct rings are not easy.

On a side note I tried the Floyd Rose Special tremolo on another old Charvel and so far its working like a champ.

Slo
      It looks like the ones Mojo have, are the 92mm.
      StewMac says theirs are (89.69mm x 45.24mm).
      STEWMAC.COM : Plastic Humbucker Mounting Rings
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

He's talking about non-sloped and non- curved flat / flat.
        The San Dimas has 0 neck angle...
        You see all the PU rings sold match the fixed Gibson neck angle...and are sloped not flat like San Dimas.
        The San Dimas is flat, like a flounder.
        But when you combine that with high frets, the action is the killer one...
        Last edited by soundguruman; 11-28-2012, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Flat, that usually means no arch top curve.
          The ones sold by StewMac are flat on the bottom.
          Yes they do have angle from front to back.
          Take it for what it's worth!
          T
          "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
          Terry

Comment

Something like this?

Short Flat Humbucker Mounting Ring BLACK $5.95 EACH | eBay

The say they have them in creme too
            "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
            - Yogi Berra

Comment

Thanks JoeM,

That was the ones I was looking for.

Slo

Comment

Glad to help. I've got one of these on order to replace one on a Gibson where the taper doesnt match, and the pickup sits quite slanted relative to the strings.
                "In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
                - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                X