Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 LP Wiring Question

Hi folks,

I have an old Les Paul copy I've been rewiring. I picked up a scheme from the web which is for a '59 Sunburst (Attached) and have used that as my basis.

The guitar works great, but I notice then the volume pots don't kill the volume completely as other guitars. Is this normal or is there something I've missed/cocked up?
    Pots used: Bourns PDB241-GTR Series - 500K
    Caps: Vishay Met Polyester Cap,22nF 400V
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Shawnobi View Post
    Hi folks,

I have an old Les Paul copy I've been rewiring. I picked up a scheme from the web which is for a '59 Sunburst (Attached) and have used that as my basis.

The guitar works great, but I notice then the volume pots don't kill the volume completely as other guitars. Is this normal or is there something I've missed/cocked up?
    Pots used: Bourns PDB241-GTR Series - 500K
    Caps: Vishay Met Polyester Cap,22nF 400V
    It sounds like you may be leaving the upper terminal on the volume pot un grounded.
    when you turn the volume pot to zero it should short the input from the switch to ground killing the signal to the amp.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Nothing inherently wrong with the schematic.
      Now 'some' pots do not go all the way to zero ohms.
      That is something that you could check.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
        It sounds like you may be leaving the upper terminal on the volume pot un grounded.

T
        I'd done exactly this :facepalm:.

Thank you Big_teee.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
          Nothing inherently wrong with the schematic.
          Now 'some' pots do not go all the way to zero ohms.
          That is something that you could check.
          Every pot I have ever used reads zero ohms between the wiper and one of the end terminals when I have the pot all the way CW or CCW. You must have had a defective pot.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Well, yeah.
            That was my point of having the OP check it.

Comment

Working...
            X