Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Middle position not working on 2 humbucker Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Middle position not working on 2 humbucker Tele?

Hi guys,
    I just installed a pair of GFS humbuckers in my Tele. Both pickups sound great, but the middle position is dead quiet. I'm using a 3 way lever switch and followed the diagram here: Guitar Wiring Diagram 2 Humbuckers/3-Way Lever Switch/1 Volume/1Tone/001.

I double checked to make sure I wired it up just like it says, but still no middle position. Did I miss something?

Are you using the 'Single Coil' switch?
    Does that work?
    Which selector switch did you use?
    Pickup Selector & Mini Switch Terminal Connections
    You can check the switch itself with an ohmeter.
    The middle position should tie both pickups together.
    I do know that some of those selector switches use some bizarre pinouts.
    You may simply have the switch pin logic wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftySixSoul View Post
      Hi guys,
      I just installed a pair of GFS humbuckers in my Tele. Both pickups sound great, but the middle position is dead quiet. I'm using a 3 way lever switch and followed the diagram here: Guitar Wiring Diagram 2 Humbuckers/3-Way Lever Switch/1 Volume/1Tone/001.

I double checked to make sure I wired it up just like it says, but still no middle position. Did I miss something?
      Do you have the wires connected to the right terminals? You can't just look at the drawing. You have to figure out which ones are the switching positions, and which ones are the commons. And each pickup has to also connect to the middle position.

Follow this diagram for the switch:

Seymour Duncan Standard Tele Wiring Diagram

Now you have to be sure that the pickups connect to the wiper of each side of the switch, and the output is taken from 1-2 and 3-4 on each side of the switch.
      Last edited by David Schwab; 01-29-2013, 06:36 AM.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
      X