Pick-ups for 5-string [Jazz] Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick-ups for 5-string [Jazz] Bass

Gentlemen....I recently purchased a 5-string Jazz [like] bass (not made by Fender. I think someone put it together as a "kit"). Anyway, when it's being played through an amp, I've noticed that it seems to have a pretty weak response in the lower registers (especially the B-string), wheras when I'm playing higher notes the response gets pretty HOT. I've noticed that the pick-ups (which, BTW don't have any exposed pole-pieces) are the same dimensions as the ones in both of my 4-string Jazz basses (which are "authentic" Fenders ). Is this just a matter of obtaining/installing a set of pups that are "made for a 5-string?"
    FWIW, "Acoustically" it seems to sound much more "linear" than the response I get when it's plugged in.
    Mac/Amps
    "preserving the classics"
    Chicago, Il., USA
    (773) 283-1217
    (cell) (847) 772-2979
    Now back on Chicago's NW side in Jefferson Park!
    www.mac4amps.com

Yes, it might be that the blades or poles are too narrow. But I have standard size Jazz pickups on my 5 string, but they are made to handle the width.

What kind of strings do you have on the bass? Some brands have lousy low B strings.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

'not sure what kind of strings are on it (they were on it when I purchased it).....they seem to be unusually bright, so I'm suspecting they might be Roto-sounds.
      Mac/Amps
      Chicago, Il., USA
      (773) 283-1217
      (cell) (847) 772-2979
      www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Might be that the speaker is the problem. some speakers have a hard time getting down to B or are ported such that low E and higher are louder than below E. just another possibliity.

Comment

No, I've tried this bass [along with my other basses] in various rigs (I own/operate an amp service shop), and there's a definite lack of low end response "across the board" with the 5-string......and not just the additional B-string notes.
          Mac/Amps
          Chicago, Il., USA
          (773) 283-1217
          (cell) (847) 772-2979
          www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Then, you might check the wiring. being a kit, the wiring might not be correct. Try coming direct off the pickup leads to the amp bypassing all other circuits to see if it improves.

Comment

After all the wiring is verified.
              It sounds like new pickups are in order.
              Also maybe the magnets are weak, or maybe the poles don't line up properly with the strings.
              New proper spaced pickups should solve all of this.
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                Also maybe the magnets are weak, or maybe the poles don't line up properly with the strings. New proper spaced pickups should solve all of this.
                Ever since I was a kid, I loved playing with magnets and iron filings, so to test pickup pole spacings on things like this, I took an old clear string pack and put some iron filings in it. Then I clear tape sealed the open end. Now I can slip this between the strings and the top of a pickup and see where the poles are and how they align with the strings. This will also show you if it is a blade type design.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                  Ever since I was a kid, I loved playing with magnets and iron filings, so to test pickup pole spacings on things like this, I took an old clear string pack and put some iron filings in it. Then I clear tape sealed the open end. Now I can slip this between the strings and the top of a pickup and see where the poles are and how they align with the strings. This will also show you if it is a blade type design.
                  Thanks for sharing that. That is a great idea.
                  I learn something new most days!
                  T
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Yes, I'm thinking that I should go with new pick-ups. I'd suspected that to be the case from the onset, especially since [as aforementioned] it has a much more linear acoustic resonance to it. I just wanted some verification from some outside sources before having to resort to any body routing to accommodate whatever I decide to install for replacements. Now I just have to decide whether I want to stick with J-Bass style replacements, or something else.
                    Thank-You for everyone's input.
                    Mac/Amps
                    Chicago, Il., USA
                    (773) 283-1217
                    (cell) (847) 772-2979
                    www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Check these out:

5-String Bass | DiMarzio

They are the size of 4 string pickups, but with five poles, and sound like traditional Jazz pickups.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

'just an afterthought here (since I'm a bit financially strapped right now). After cleaning up the wiring, and checking to make sure the pups were phased properly (they were), I'm wondering if perhaps these pick-ups were designed with the intention of being used with a preamp (they read ~6.5K)??? THAT might explain their odd sounding response. I personally tend to prefer a "passive" instrument.
                        Mac/Amps
                        Chicago, Il., USA
                        (773) 283-1217
                        (cell) (847) 772-2979
                        www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Originally posted by mac1amps View Post
                          'just an afterthought here (since I'm a bit financially strapped right now). After cleaning up the wiring, and checking to make sure the pups were phased properly (they were), I'm wondering if perhaps these pick-ups were designed with the intention of being used with a preamp (they read ~6.5K)??? THAT might explain their odd sounding response. I personally tend to prefer a "passive" instrument.
                          It definitely sounds like that might be a possibility?
                          [URL="http://www.georgesmusic.com"]Georges Music Store[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by mac1amps View Post
                            They are on the low size, but that would not affect the string to string balance. I'm thinking they are made for 4 string basses and the insides are not wide enough. I make 5 string pickup that fit into 4 string cases. So does DiMarzio:

5-String Bass | DiMarzio

Poor low B response could also be the strings. Some brands have terrible low B strings. Yu mentioned Rotosounds, and they are pretty bad. D'Addarios have very good low B strings.

Comment

Actually, I tend to use D'Addarios on my 4-string basses, but it still doesn't explain why the response is so weak even on the lower registers of the E, A, D, and G strings (does it???).......'perhaps it's worth investing in a new set of strings, but I'm a bit skeptical of just how much of a difference that alone will make. I'm somewhat convinced at this point that I'll [eventually] need to invest in new pups on this bass in order to obtain the desired sounds.
                              Mac/Amps
                              Chicago, Il., USA
                              (773) 283-1217
                              (cell) (847) 772-2979
                              www.mac4amps.com

Comment

Working...
                              X