Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanding inertia bar and tremolo plate

New here.

Modding my Fender American Standard Strat.

Well, my first mod is not a real electronic one but i have seen a topic about it in the past.

My question:

How to remove the paint from the inertia bar (like the Eric Johnson Strat) and make a 100% total/tight connection with the term plate.

I have sanded the top of my Strats inertia bar but when i attach the trem-plate on it and hold it against the light, i can see some light coming through (a small gap). I suppose full contact will give better tone.

It looks like the inertia bar is not totally flat nor is the tremplate.

Is there an easy way to make a better contact.

Jazzy

Yes, keep sanding both surfaces until they're flat! The jargon term for it is "lapping".
    How to Lap a Heatsink Guide - Overclockers Club

Then ponder the fact that the tone still has to come through 12 little grub screws.
    "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Thanks!

Contains some valuable info i can use.

I had it milled friday (?) by a professional so both are flat now but still a bit raw so i think i will wetsand them a little to improve the contact.

Bought some sanding papers but took me half a day to find a shop that sold >600 grit (2500 now)

Comment

Working...
      X