Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Inside Merle Travis' Bigsby Solidbody Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Inside Merle Travis' Bigsby Solidbody Guitar?

Here's a "just wondering" question:

How do you think this guitar was wired?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	merle-travis-bigsby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	867369

I see three knobs and a 3-position switch, all for one bridge position blade pickup.
    Any wisdom or conjecture appreciated.
    Last edited by rjb; 05-15-2013, 10:34 PM. Reason: Corrected image insertion
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

I can do conjecture!!! I would guess the three way switch would offer the choice of a couple of tone caps much like a gretch and the two extra knobs provided tone controls for each cap???

Comment

The middle position brings in the piezo bridge pickup and the rear postion is for MIDI out. One pot is volume, a second is tone, and the third is a re-assignable MIDI parameter control. That Merle was a stickler for tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
        The middle position brings in the piezo bridge pickup and the rear postion is for MIDI out....
        Hey, I found a photo!

Don't see a MIDI out, but I'm still not sure what's going on.
        Merle apparently didn't like it much; switched to the iconic Super 400 pretty quick.
        Oh well, whatever.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rjb; 05-29-2013, 02:11 AM. Reason: Changed way image is displayed (maybe).
        DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

On the notations.
          I can see 'rythm' & 'tone'.
          Cannot read the top one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazz P Bass View Post
            I can see 'rythm' & 'tone'.
            Cannot read the top one.
            Here's what it says here The Bigsby Files

Within just a couple of months, Travis had the guitar altered to include a cutaway, a different headstock shape, an additional knob, and a selector switch. The guitar only had one pickup, so the three knobs and selector switch were designed to go between volume levels for lead and rhythm, or as it was noted on the interior of the guitar, "RYTHM" and "TAKE-OFF" (Paul Bigsby's spelling).
            So the one you can't read is "Take-Off"!
            It looks to me like the wiper of the "rythm" pot is grounded. Maybe it was a variable load on the pickup (rather than a voltage divider)?
            Quite the historical curiosity.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

This is truly fascinating info...really. The carved inside of the guitar is a thing of beauty. Inspiring. I've got a couple of hunks of nice mahogany calling my name.

Comment

Working...
              X