Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Guitar circuit in its relation to oscillatng sin wave - Pic included.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
    I think the OP is trying to get at VERY rudimentary concepts. I may be wrong.
    You are definitely right, just trying to get at a few key fundamental concepts. And thank you for the thorough explanation, it really connected some dots for me.

And I appreciate you guys entertaining the idea of a guitar signal as a sine wave for purposes of using it as an example. I also appreciate those who pointed out that a guitar signal does not produce a sine wave; a sine wave only being analogous to current flow. It gave me the opportunity to clear up my understanding of what a sine wave is. I read this last night and it was a great presentation; highly recommend it to anyone who wishes to touch up on their understanding of the sine wave -- Intuitive Understanding of Sine Waves | BetterExplained

I read through everyone's posts and put together this new graphic of my understanding of the current flow a guitar produces - again with a sine wave representing the guitar signal as an example, but this time with the arrows representing magnitude of the voltage and correct direction of flow (the larger red arrows representing the guitar voltage, the purple the ground ). Hopefully this is more accurate than the first graphic.

Comment

It is clear that you lack knowledge of basic concepts governing the electric circuits.
      Guitar signal, or any signal, is composed of a number of sine waves which are related to each other.
      That's what harmonics are. There exists no esoteric sine wave on which signal from the guitar rides like a surfer.
      Current and voltage are not separate physical phenomena, one can not manifest itself without the other.
      They are like conjoined twins of the inseparable kind.
      I suggest you start over by learning the basics.
      Begin with a circuit composed of a battery a glow lamp, a switch and 3 pieces of wire.
      Is it obvious to you why 3 wires?
      You do have a talent for graphic illustrations. Learn the basics and continue to more advanced stuff,
      then your future illustrations will be a great help to many and I will certainly be looking forward to them.
      Aleksander Niemand
      Zagray! amp- PG review Aug 2011
      Without the freedom to criticize, there is no true praise. -Pierre Beaumarchais, playwright (1732-1799)

Comment

Alex raises a good point.

The sine wave is used as a teaching example, and in the lab for testing circuits, because it is a very simple, predictable signal. Any well-equipped lab has a device called a "signal generator" which will produce a sine wave of whatever magnitude and frequency you might want.

But when an audio circuit is actually used in its intended application, there is no sine wave in it. The audio signal replaces it. You unplug the signal generator and plug in a guitar instead.

On a deeper level, Fourier's theorem (and Hammond's organ) says that any conceivable signal can be made by adding together a bunch of sine waves. But the above explanation will do for now.
        "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

Just for reference, Electronic Communication by Robert Shrader was the standard for electronics training back in the day. We used the 4th edition at my community college in the '70s and it still covered tube circuits. You'd be hard pressed to find a better text book on the subject and when you search for it, you will notice all the high ratings.

I get a replacement for mine a few years ago. It was $.99 and $1.99 shipping through a vendor at Amazon.
          ..Joe L

Comment

I clicked on this thread because it said "Sin Wave"...and I thought that was a great opening for a sex and drugs and rock'n'roll thread. What a disappointment...

Ain't hardly no sine waves coming out of guitars...but sin...that's another matter entirely...

Comment

Man I never even saw that.
              Sin Wave.
              Hmph.

Comment

Working...
              X