Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup wiring problem.. please help!!

Hi,
    I'm running into problems wiring up two humbuckers (a GFS Dream 180 in neck; Lil Killer in bridge) in a lefty Fender Tele. I don't have pics on hand, but here's the switch:
    Switch: Original CRL 3 Way Switch | Allparts.com

I'm using two 500K pots ( 1 vol; 1 tone) and a .047 cap.

I used the wiring diagram here: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...gsHDyUGZm2-ENh

I followed the diagram closely, but when I got it together I got a loud buzz. When I strummed the strings they were not audible whatsoever on any switch position. The volume knob seems to work because when I lower it, it cuts off the buzz. Same with the tone knob, when I turn it down I can hear the tone of the buzz get darker.

Again, sorry for no pics (at work). Any ideas of what may be causing this? Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by LeftySixSoul View Post
    Hi,
    I'm running into problems wiring up two humbuckers (a GFS Dream 180 in neck; Lil Killer in bridge) in a lefty Fender Tele. I don't have pics on hand, but here's the switch:
    Switch: Original CRL 3 Way Switch | Allparts.com

I'm using two 500K pots ( 1 vol; 1 tone) and a .047 cap.

I used the wiring diagram here: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...gsHDyUGZm2-ENh

I followed the diagram closely, but when I got it together I got a loud buzz. When I strummed the strings they were not audible whatsoever on any switch position. The volume knob seems to work because when I lower it, it cuts off the buzz. Same with the tone knob, when I turn it down I can hear the tone of the buzz get darker.

Again, sorry for no pics (at work). Any ideas of what may be causing this? Thanks in advance!
    Wiring Diagram
    For left hand you will have to swap the wires to opposite sides of the Pots.
    What wire is shwed on left terminal would go on the right, and vise-versa.
    I'm a lefty and do it all the time.
    LP type knobs will read backwards, but you will get used to it.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
      For left hand you will have to swap the wires to opposite sides of the Pots.
      What wire is shwed on left terminal would go on the right, and vise-versa.
      I'm confused. Isn't clockwise still clockwise, regardless of the guitar being flipped around?

LP type knobs will read backwards,...
      Hmmm.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
        I'm confused. Isn't clockwise still clockwise, regardless of the guitar being flipped around?

Hmmm.
        It is an up and down thing.
        They will work either way, You can wire them either way, but flipped is how most lefthand guitars come.
        Leftys turn the knobs the opposite direction from right handers, but the up and down motion is the same.
        Don't try to understand us, just accept us!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Ok great!! Like this?

Comment

Ok great!! Like this?

Close, but that won't work.
            You don't have the ground of the two pots tied together.
            Put a black wire between each pot case.
            Also is the Green the output lead on your Pickups?
            Green is usually Ground.
            ** Check your switch, you have it drawn different in your diagram.
            The switch will need to be wired like the diagram.
            I always check the switch with an ohm meter before I connect the pickups to it.
            Terry

Comment

Yes, the green is the lead on the GFS pups.

So just take a wire and just wire it from the volume pot casing to the tone pot casing?

Comment

The other thing you may want to do while your at it.
                The popular mod here in my area is known as flipping the lid.
                Turn the plate around where the switch is at the rear.
                That puts the volume and tone closer to to the players hand.
                Of course that requires changing the wiring of the volume and Tone.
                T
                Terry

Comment

Yes, the green is the lead on the GFS pups.

So just take a wire and just wire it from the volume pot casing to the tone pot casing?
                  Yes tie them together.
                  I always take the jack ground to the Volume Pot, that keeps the pair of wires on the same Pot.
                  Then tie back from the vol to the tone.
                  I added on the other post to check your switch with an Ohm meter.
                  Terry

Comment

** Check your switch, you have it drawn different in your diagram.
                    The switch will need to be wired like the diagram.
                    I always check the switch with an ohm meter before I connect the pickups to it.
                    Ok, yeah.. Man, I wish I had it in front of me! I will definitely check that first when I get home. I'll need to look up how to check a switch with a multimeter, but I will do that. Thanks for all your help!!!

Comment

Well, I don't know how my reply ended up above your last response, but I will definitely double check the diagram. The lid flip seems like a great idea!!

Comment

Well, I don't know how my reply ended up above your last response, but I will definitely double check the diagram. The lid flip seems like a great idea!!
                        Post here if I can help on the continuity test of the switch!
                        Good Luck,
                        Terry
                        Terry

Comment

Leftys turn the knobs the opposite direction from right handers, but the up and down motion is the same.
                          I get it. Like, if you do a volume swell by wrapping your pinky "behind" the pot, you're turning the knob anti-clockwise.
                          DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

I only had a bit of time last night, but I wired it up like the new diagram below. Still loud buzz.

@ Terry- I will break out the multimeter tonight and let you know.

Comment

From what I can tell from the drawing, you do not have it grounded properly.
                              You must have continuity between the Jack ground, the Tone control body & the Volume control body.

Comment

Working...
                              X