No announcement yet.

Ideas of processing after hexaphonic pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I'm glad there are at least two men interested in this. My virtual gear is almost done. Here is the last demo
    http://ge02112.ho.ua/hex4.wav
    Hex "overdrive" works very bad for a solo lines if it turned on just not very tricky. Very good compressor should be placed after whole the mix of hex processing and plus there should be the monophonic pickup overdriven added not less 20%

P.S. whammy bar effects done live with Guitar Rig virtual Pitch Pedal controlled by EV-5 on MIDI

Comment

Very interesting stuff! I like the guitar sound, it somehow gives the impression of being both clean and dirty at the same time, with a kind of digital edginess to it. Was it all done in Reaktor?
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

wow, Steve, welcome!

I'd love to gather some men with ears and perception are like ours here! In the good place to drink a tea between our findings/
        Because as for me - I am too bothered with all of that vintage stuff that is very good due to really great music which is done with it in most cases.
        Someone loves a clay or a wood, another loves a malachite or a marvel to build a castle.
        It's so hard to catch a beautiful pattern wile bounding..
        Yes, really, if it's too clean, it is not live enough for impression. If it's distorted in one direction like came from great overdriven amp - it feels some rustic for me.
        There are two main layers, first is "clean like" second is overdriven, but each of two consists of many sub-layers, so each is complex enough.
        Resulting sound of this "hex4" is made in Reaktor only, no any other software so far aside from Guitar Rig's whammy. I cannot construct whammy inside Reaktor which could sound as good as that one! I'd like to get that algo they use for clear pitch-shifting! The internal sampleRate of Reaktor is 88200 khz.

thank you for your input

Comment

Yuri,

I've stumbled on this thread by accident: Cool!
          I like your soundclips.

I'm also trying to make a similar setup, only using a Linux based desktop (LinuxMusicians ? View topic - Experiment: Makin a low-budget Polyphonic (midi)guitar setup) .
          I'm playing a 7-string guitar tuned in fifths and I'm going to experiment with a heptaphonic pickup using the strings as a coil (see: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14952/)
          I've made a test setup using 2 signals and that gave some pretty good results. It opens up a world of new sounds!

Right now I'm on the lookout for a good (affordable) 8 channel audio interface.
          What kind of hardware are you using?
          Can you control all the six virtual signal processors with midi?

Hans Bezemer

Comment

Originally posted by MisterBzr View Post
            Yuri,

... It opens up a world of new sounds!
            yes! Lets go!!!!!

Hans Bezemer
            Thank you for your interest in this, Hans!

I found Presonus FS mobile after a long search. My budget is very small so I found a best solution and now I am assured in this with this box.
            I made a little upgrading in its inside, had connected (in parallel) its 6 audio inputs (on the back) to 9-pin D-sub. In this D-sub I disconnected MIDI out (no use of it for me anyway), SPDIF in and SPDIF out. So I made a new cable for this 9-pin connector, female-female which is for 6 analog signals and 2 MIDI wires and plus one ground.
            Inside of my GR-30 I made the taps from each 6 wires of six strings and put another D-sub 9-pin to be as output for those wires plus MIDI all in one 9wires well shielded cable (used the VGA cable for this - so cool one).
            I made this because I would not like to connect my hex with 6 big jecks!
            This is very comfortable setup for a studio and for live needs as well. connectors fixed with screw at both sides.
            As about SPDIF I made an internal jumper between out and in SPDIF because I need it for a chain back so much too. But for nothing else.
            As for you, I'd aim for an interface with 10 analog inputs because of additional 7th. And if I'd have a good budget I'd choose from this PreSonus | FireStudio Project or this MOTU.com - Overview
            It would be necessary to have a couple of spare analog inputs over your 7. I have 2 spare analog inputs one for a normal mono guitar input from magn pickups or from piezo and another for synth signal generated by my GR-30 for example... So you will have a wide range of combinations.
            Another thing in my setup is that Reaktor is care about parallel 6 signals independence processing and eats a lot of proc resources, so it is linked to one core and other core is for all other and recording purposes. Reactor's outputs are assigned to SPDIF and are back into the SAC virtual console at SPDIF in. SAC takes care of other inputs, VST instruments and plugs for other parallel pocessing! Finally, SAC links to SAWStudio with all outs and ins and does that work so smoothly and reliable in the end.

Yes, each of the several string channel (inside Reaktor) is fully controlled by a MIDI coming from my MIDI guit interface (GR30). Of course it's very easy to build its own midi conversion inside of it and it may work much different in compare to existing hardware. Some envelope followers I prefer to build in my own way. Now I am experimenting with Frequency Follower units to obtain more faster attack times.

Sorry, I never had a deal with Linux, it's because I can't jump from my DAW setup.

I'm just starting to look at your links you put there, very interesting... See you

PS if you have not a huge budget, my interface may be suitable for you too, you will have only one spare analog input for something. What is cool it's small enough and is like a truck
            Last edited by Yury Oransky; 09-12-2013, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Yuri,

I've stumbled on this thread by accident: Cool!
              I like your soundclips.

I'm also trying to make a similar setup, only using a Linux based desktop (LinuxMusicians ? View topic - Experiment: Makin a low-budget Polyphonic (midi)guitar setup) .
              I'm playing a 7-string guitar tuned in fifths and I'm going to experiment with a heptaphonic pickup using the strings as a coil (see: http://music-electronics-forum.com/t14952/)
              I've made a test setup using 2 signals and that gave some pretty good results. It opens up a world of new sounds!

Hans Bezemer
              Great to see another 7-string multichannel player!

I can add a small comment to Yury's great reply: I have a PreSonus FireStudio Project and it's perfect for this application

Comment

Great!

The preSonus looks great and from what I found it is compatible with Linux. There is also the Tascam us-1800 which is a bit cheaper, but it seems that it isn't working with Linux.
                I'm using a open source effect processor (Rakarrack) and this works great, the only downside is that I can't connect multible instances with midi.
                Does Reaktor supports this when using multiple instances? Or can you process al the signals within one instance of Reaktor?

Corvus do you have some soundclips / pictures of your setup?

Comment

Yes, Presunus converters are great...
                  As about USB audio interfaces, I did not put them into my list because I prefer FW.

I'm not sure if I understand the need of using of multiple instances in your setup.
                  You need to process 7 channels of audio in parallel... All you need for that is to make an assignment inside Reaktor your 7 hd inputs to its internal inputs. And you rote them parallel to what you want w/o any restrictions
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	reaktor.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	618.6 KB
ID:	830984
                  Last edited by Yury Oransky; 09-16-2013, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Rakarrack can handle just one input per instance. I will check if I can find an open source alternative like Reaktor.
                    Can you also create presets and switch between them with a midicontroller?

Comment

Oh, I still had no time to peep into your linux stuff...

Yes, of course, in reaktor it's fully implemented to switch live with midicntrller. There is very lot of options to use midi inside of it.
                      Along with switching between presets you can assign any midi cntr to any knob or switch of thousands in your processor.

You can chat with me in Skype if will be necessary btw (Eagletrusted)

P.S. it seemed so bulky for me to have a deal with 6 instances of any things like GuitarRig or AmpliTube...
                      Can you run Reaktor in Linux?
                      Last edited by Yury Oransky; 09-16-2013, 09:21 AM.

Comment

A small update:
                        I've found a great open source DAW: NON see non.tuxfamily.org
                        I've made a set up with two signals: one for my three bass strings and one for my four treble strings.
                        Per signal I can ad a chain of effects.
                        It works like a charm.
                        Now I need to invest time in creating presets and make my footcontroller to communicate with NON.

Comment

Is this for Linux especially? seems like written really neatly if requires non fast machines.

Comment

I'm afraid it's only available for Linux.
                            If you want to check it out you could consider to install a Linux distribution (p.a. Ubuntu or Xubuntu). alongside Windows or if you have a obsolete computer you can make a test test up with that. Linux can be installed on older computers without any trouble.
                            There's a (steep?) learning curve with Linux, but you get a lot of freedom in return.

Did you made any new stuff with your setup?

Comment

I'm afaraid I have no reason to move from this setup I use now. Too many time I invest already in it.
                              Last time I have not done something new except of multi-layering envelopes generators which work for several processing module in parallel.
                              There are great ready to work multi-point envelope generators for Reaktor working in many modes

Comment

Working...
                              X