Tele wiring waaaay too tinny sounding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele wiring waaaay too tinny sounding

I rewired my Tele keeping the stock bridge pickup and replacing the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I used a standard 3 way switch but I use the tone pot as a coil tap for the neck pickup as shown in this diagram:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...matic=sum96tip

I used brand new 500k pots for volume and for the "splitter" pot.

The problem is (I know teles are tinny/thin sounding but nature) the guitar has way too much treble. It's just way to over the top. On every amp.

Could using 250k pots reduce the amount of high end?

Could using 250k pots reduce the amount of high end?
    No.

Is the humbucker used by itself thin/tinny?
    Doubt so very much.
    Doubly so if neck mounted.

*If* so, you made some wiring mistake.
    Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Try putting the cap back in. I don't know how it will affect it in the coil tap situation, but I've had to change caps (values) a couple of times for more or less treble. If I were trying this I would prefer to leave the existing pots and add a toggle switch for the coil tap. I have one on my Cort CL1500, set up dual humbuckers with coil tap from the factory, and they used the tone knob for the coil tap. I don't like it that much, would prefer a toggle switch like my old Lotus Les Paul copy had. Wish I still had that guitar...

I can't remember how the values affect it, but I think higher value means less treble. So if it has the pretty much standard .047 cap, try a .022. That may be backward, I Can never remember...
      Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Paleo Pete View Post
        Try putting the cap back in. I don't know how it will affect it in the coil tap situation, but I've had to change caps (values) a couple of times for more or less treble. If I were trying this I would prefer to leave the existing pots and add a toggle switch for the coil tap. I have one on my Cort CL1500, set up dual humbuckers with coil tap from the factory, and they used the tone knob for the coil tap. I don't like it that much, would prefer a toggle switch like my old Lotus Les Paul copy had. Wish I still had that guitar...

I can't remember how the values affect it, but I think higher value means less treble. So if it has the pretty much standard .047 cap, try a .022. That may be backward, I Can never remember...
        I agree with Pete.
        I like a mini toggle switch way better than a push pull.
        With regular pots, you usually get a better grade of Pot vs the push pull pot.
        I usually use CTS Pots.
        500k vol pots are brighter sounding than 250k pots.
        250s are usually used on lower impedance pickups like Single coils.
        On teles I usually use a 250k Volume pot, and a 500k tone pot with a .047uf cap.
        .022uf is brighter than .047uf.
        I have a tele CW player that likes a 250k volume pot, and a 1 meg Tone pot, with the .047uf cap.
        You get a wider range of tone cap roll off with a bigger Tone Pot.
        It boils down to individual preferences.
        Good Luck,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by PoPo75 View Post
          I rewired my Tele keeping the stock bridge pickup and replacing the neck pickup with a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates.
          I haven't tried the pearly gates in the neck position. But in my experience, it's one heck of trebly-no-bass-at-all pup. I still use it, very good for high gain sounds, the lack of bass keeps it from getting muddy. Have you tried the output of the pup straight into the amp without any of the related circuitry? This might give you a reference point for what you have to work with.
          If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
          If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
          We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
          MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I have been experimenting with this set up. It seems the Pearly Gates IS quite a trebly pick up. So as of now I'm losing the Dial-a-tap and putting in a regular pot and adding a toggle or using a push pull pot. I also just bought a assortment of orange drop capacitors. As soon as they come in I will try different values until I get a decent result. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
            X