Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clapton Start scratching ... ???

when I touch the Jack !

It's not the cable/chord, I have tried to bend the connections inside the Jack with no luck !

Any ideas how to cure the problem ?
    Best regards
    KSor, Denmark

Did this suddenly just start happening or was some work done on the guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      Did this suddenly just start happening or was some work done on the guitar?
      No, it has been going on for some years now - but now it's too much - it has to be fixed
      Best regards
      KSor, Denmark

Comment

Does this happen in both modes, passive and boosted? If it happens in both modes then check the jack wiring for loose wires and correct connections. If the ground and hot wires are reversed it can cause that symptom.

If it only happens in boosted mode, there may be a leakey capacitor on the preamp output causing this.

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
          Does this happen in both modes, passive and boosted? If it happens in both modes then check the jack wiring for loose wires and correct connections. If the ground and hot wires are reversed it can cause that symptom.

If it only happens in boosted mode, there may be a leakey capacitor on the preamp output causing this.
          It's in BOTH modes - not loose wires, not reversed wires ... what I think is that the JACK is too bad a construction =

1) no good connection in the tip (the hot wire) that's why I tried bend it more

2) no good connection in the "shield tube"

Have someone ever tried to change the Jack with an XLR ?
          Best regards
          KSor, Denmark

Comment

This could be static electricity built up on pickguard and/or pickup cover. With volume up and your arm in playing position try rubbing the pickguard (as you might do when you are playing.) If this is the case there are several solutions recommended
            - for quick fix try rubbing pickguard with sheet of Bounce fabric softener
            - for more permanent fix also try shielding backside of pickguard with aluminum foil and rubber cement
            - you might also try putting sheet of Bounce under pickguard as well.

I replaced a set of stock strat pickups w/ Fralins thinking that there were something wrong with them that was creating the scratchy sound.

HTH

Steve Ahola
            The Blue Guitar
            www.blueguitar.org
            Some recordings:
            https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Originally posted by Steve A. View Post
              This could be static electricity built up on pickguard and/or pickup cover. With volume up and your arm in playing position try rubbing the pickguard (as you might do when you are playing.) If this is the case there are several solutions recommended
              - for quick fix try rubbing pickguard with sheet of Bounce fabric softener
              - for more permanent fix also try shielding backside of pickguard with aluminum foil and rubber cement
              - you might also try putting sheet of Bounce under pickguard as well.

I replaced a set of stock strat pickups w/ Fralins thinking that there were something wrong with them that was creating the scratchy sound.

HTH

Steve Ahola
              I'm almost curtain that it's the Jack plug OR the cord !

I have tried to change the cord with a lot af different types and the problem still comes up every time I touch near the Jack plug - as though the Jack very shortly disconnects sounding like some scratches.

That's why I'm considering changing the Jack bushing with a XLR - IF it fits in the Strat - any experience here ?
              Best regards
              KSor, Denmark

Comment

Working...
              X