Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Electric XII

Good morning, campers!

I'm the (semi-proud) owner of an '66 Electric XII, as fine an oar as one could want. Not much of a guitar as it came from Fullerton, though. When I got it, it had a rollered semi-gloss white paint job over a poorly-sprayed LPB finish over a factory 'burst. It also has a B-width neck (1-5/8" at the nut,) which means it's totally unplayable as a 12-string. I'm building my own neck for it, and using ReRanch primer and LPB, Stew-Mac truss rod, fingerboard, and inlays. Slowly, slowly....

Where I need help is trying to find a schematic for wiring it up. Any suggestions, other than buying a Rick?

Thanks,
    dB

schematic

Ric posts their schematics on their site. I used it when i rewired my 12 with vintage reissue Ric toaster pups.

so - did you finish th deed? too bad it was poorly refinned whne you got it. Those old 12s are nice guitars. Page used one on Stairway to Heaven...

Comment

Originally posted by diode breath View Post
      Good morning, campers!

I'm the (semi-proud) owner of an '66 Electric XII, as fine an oar as one could want. Not much of a guitar as it came from Fullerton, though. When I got it, it had a rollered semi-gloss white paint job over a poorly-sprayed LPB finish over a factory 'burst. It also has a B-width neck (1-5/8" at the nut,) which means it's totally unplayable as a 12-string. I'm building my own neck for it, and using ReRanch primer and LPB, Stew-Mac truss rod, fingerboard, and inlays. Slowly, slowly....

Where I need help is trying to find a schematic for wiring it up. Any suggestions, other than buying a Rick?

Thanks,
      dB
      I have one and I agree, it's really hard to play.

Comment

Did you try a new nut with closer spacing for the string pairs? Some of the Ric guys have reported much better playability that way.

- Scott

Comment

Originally posted by ThermionicScott View Post
          Did you try a new nut with closer spacing for the string pairs? Some of the Ric guys have reported much better playability that way.

- Scott
          No, I haven't done that but I suspect it wouldn't hurt. I don't have the skill to make a 12 string nut (I can make pretty good 6 string ones). I wonder how much a luthier would charge to make one?

Comment

Originally posted by devnull View Post
            No, I haven't done that but I suspect it wouldn't hurt. I don't have the skill to make a 12 string nut (I can make pretty good 6 string ones). I wonder how much a luthier would charge to make one?
            I bought a fully intonatable Ric bridge from Ric for $125 + S&H a year or so ago. Totally worth it if you want to be in tune. best...

Comment

Working...
            X