Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG active PUPS problems

Hello everyone,
    I am a fairly experienced luthier with a good bit of electrical experience as well. A customer wanted me to replace his cheap factory humbuckers with an EMG 81 and 60A combination. I didn't see any likely problems other than the routine task of routing for a battery box as the guy wants to run on 18 volts which apparently is the rage in death metal types. So here is the problem- neither of the pickup seem to respond to the battery voltage- they put out a low but usuable signal unpowered, with no difference in the audible output with the battery in the circuit ( + voltage red wire; neg voltage to ground).TO make sure the controls weren't the problem I ended up running the PUPS directly to the amp. THe battery is good, reading 9.67 volts. These parts were bought at two different places with almost 4 months between the purchase., so getting two defective units in that situation units would be very unusual. The only thing I can think of is that the 18 volts we initially tried fried the electronics although the spec sheet says the safe voltage range is 9-27 volts. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am having a bit of a time telling the customer his expensive new pickups aren't working.
    Thanks in advance!
    Jon Nixon, Luthier
    Markham. VA 540 671 5138

Problem solved.......

Originally posted by Jon Nixon View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am a fairly experienced luthier with a good bit of electrical experience as well. A customer wanted me to replace his cheap factory humbuckers with an EMG 81 and 60A combination. I didn't see any likely problems other than the routine task of routing for a battery box as the guy wants to run on 18 volts which apparently is the rage in death metal types. So here is the problem- neither of the pickup seem to respond to the battery voltage- they put out a low but usuable signal unpowered, with no difference in the audible output with the battery in the circuit ( + voltage red wire; neg voltage to ground).TO make sure the controls weren't the problem I ended up running the PUPS directly to the amp. THe battery is good, reading 9.67 volts. These parts were bought at two different places with almost 4 months between the purchase., so getting two defective units in that situation units would be very unusual. The only thing I can think of is that the 18 volts we initially tried fried the electronics although the spec sheet says the safe voltage range is 9-27 volts. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. I am having a bit of a time telling the customer his expensive new pickups aren't working.
    Thanks in advance!
    Jon Nixon, Luthier
    Markham. VA 540 671 5138
    So it looks like I figured it out - voltage polarity was probably reversed - the electronics most likely were fried. One heck of an expensive mistake......anyone trying the 18 volt mod beware......... :-(

Comment

Working...
    X