No announcement yet.

Super Switch Nashville Tele question??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Switch Nashville Tele question??

Hey all, I have been tasked to convert a standard Mexi-Tele to a Nashville Tele configuration using a super-switch and a push-pull to do a Nashville Tele/Strat type configuration. The push-pull pot performing switching duties.

The owner has bought/supplied all of the parts previously.

I found a drawing of what I hope to accomplish.....
    http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7...SimpleTele.jpg

I have the identicle parts, however, when wired to THIS diagram, it will not perform "as advertised"...

After looking it over closely, I cannot see how the wiring given would accomplish this??

I am looking for "yes or no" if this schematic will work and if not......what needs to be done?

PLEASE! Any help in this would be appreciated.

Rod
    Last edited by retrorod; 01-22-2014, 10:41 PM.

A standard (and cheaper) 5-way switch can deliver both standard Telecaster sounds (N, N+B, B), and several Strat sounds (M, M+B), simply by swapping the hot leads for the middle and bridge pickups at the switch. This yields (in order): neck, neck+bridge, bridge, bridge+middle, middle.

If you swap the neck and middle leads at the switch, you get middle, middle+neck, neck, neck+bridge, bridge.

In sum, you get middle-only, all the Tele sounds, and your choice of either M+N or M+B; i.e., one form of cluck. None of this requires additonal wiring or a push-pull pot. Obviously the addition of the switch expands options, but if you are simply looking to get some form of Strat cluck, don't want to forfeit the signature N+B Tele sound, and hope to do this cheaply, fliping the leads is your ticket.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Mark. I was simply trying to use the parts that the owner had already bought. I have installed them and tryed two different wiring diagrams similar to the one in my original post.......Nada! I am not getting the switching right.
      At this point, I am not a fan of "the Superswitch". When I get a regular 5-way, I will go at it again.
      To be honest, I have never had such a problem following a wiring schematic and then "IT NOT WORK PROPERLY".....

Can anyone tell by the initial schematic that I posted if it 'should' work???

I tried this one this afternoon....Nada!

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7...hvilleTele.jpg

Not sure where I am going wrong....unless I have a faulty part?
      Rod

Comment

No Worries guys! I got it.... Thanks for all the support!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hammer View Post
          A standard (and cheaper) 5-way switch can deliver both standard Telecaster sounds (N, N+B, B), and several Strat sounds (M, M+B), simply by swapping the hot leads for the middle and bridge pickups at the switch. This yields (in order): neck, neck+bridge, bridge, bridge+middle, middle.

If you swap the neck and middle leads at the switch, you get middle, middle+neck, neck, neck+bridge, bridge.

In sum, you get middle-only, all the Tele sounds, and your choice of either M+N or M+B; i.e., one form of cluck. None of this requires additonal wiring or a push-pull pot. Obviously the addition of the switch expands options, but if you are simply looking to get some form of Strat cluck, don't want to forfeit the signature N+B Tele sound, and hope to do this cheaply, fliping the leads is your ticket.
          Thanks for this info Mark. I bought a Fender 5-way yesterday. I pulled the "Stuper-Switch" and DPDT tone pot and wired it up 'standard' Nashville Tele style and no problems at all.
          I will experiment with switching the leads also.

Comment

Originally posted by retrorod View Post
            Hey all, I have been tasked to convert a standard Mexi-Tele to a Nashville Tele configuration using a super-switch and a push-pull to do a Nashville Tele/Strat type configuration. The push-pull pot performing switching duties.

The owner has bought/supplied all of the parts previously.

I found a drawing of what I hope to accomplish.....
            http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7...SimpleTele.jpg

I have the identicle parts, however, when wired to THIS diagram, it will not perform "as advertised"...

After looking it over closely, I cannot see how the wiring given would accomplish this??

I am looking for "yes or no" if this schematic will work and if not......what needs to be done?

PLEASE! Any help in this would be appreciated.

Rod
            The guy who made that drawing left off a critical wire in each of those particular drawings (derived from the same original). Oops. Sorry about that. I have corrected the drawings & uploaded them.
            ST in Phoenix

Comment

Thanks for "owning up"....!!! I thought that I was going nuts and reverted to plan B or C( a regualar 5-way and Fender Nashville Tele layout) and my customer is happy.... although he bought the parts for.... and really wanted the versatility of the push-pull potted "blackout Tele"....! I checked and double-checked my wiring with your diagrams and thought WTF???

I fatigued rather 'be-grudgingly' over what was wrong....oh well!

After looking at your revised diagram, I see the key wiring difference.....Jeesh!

Some jumper wires would have been my friend when trying this....:-)

Rod
              Last edited by retrorod; 02-12-2014, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X