HHH wiring. Different 3 way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HHH wiring. Different 3 way?

I am trying to wire my 3 pickup SG in the same way that the Epiphone Riviera P93 (or similar 3 HB guitar) is wired.

3 P90's, 3 way switch, bridge volume, middle volume, neck volume and master tone.

My goal is to get the "traditional" SG/LP configuration (B/B+N/N) minus the one tone control but also have an independent middle pickup volume control.

I've been looking around but for some reason I cannot find a schematic like this.

I'm guessing that Gibson's new Togpot that comes in the Kirk Douglas SG, SG Deluxe and the X series guitars would be wired similarly but it costs about $40 and the loss of one the tone control isn't that important to me.

Thanks for any help on this!!

EDIT: I'm looking to have the regular LP/SG wiring with the middle to be on a completely independent volume control. No toggles or push-pulls.

I found this:

I'm thinking I have the wrong switch though.

This is the one that's in there now:

It looks like the one in the diagram has more leaves.

You need a switch for 3 pickup guitars.
    Stewmac has them, look at their instructions.
    STEWMAC.COM : Instructions for Right-angle Metric Toggle Switch
    T
    You could also wire it without a switch, just have the 3 volume controls, independant volume for each pickup.
    Or you could use 3 mini toggles one for each pickup.
    With the 3 minis you could have more combinations.
    Or you could use a regular 3 way switch for neck and bridge and have the middle on independant volume control.
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-12-2014, 03:48 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

Thanks. I never realized that the 3 way switch is different. I don't want too many switches or modifications to the body. So I'm going the more traditional route.

Comment

I would try using the swithc you have, to switch the neck and bridge.
        Wire the vol. pots independant with the pickup on the wiper middle terminal, and the wire from the switch on the outside terminal of the pot.
        Then wire the middle pickup to a separate Volume like in your diagram.
        That way the 3 way swithch will allow traditional LP switching between the bridge and neck, allowing you to add or rolloff the middle pickup, with its own volume pot.
        If you use a 1 meg volume pot on the middle pickup, you will be able to roll it further out of the circuit.
        Be worth trying.
        GL,
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 03-12-2014, 02:39 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          I would try using the swithc you have, to switch the neck and bridge.
          Wire the vol. pots independant with the pickup on the wiper middle terminal, and the wire from the switch on the outside terminal of the pot.
          Then wire the middle pickup to a separate Volume like in your diagram.
          That way the 3 way swithch will allow traditional LP switching between the bridge and neck, allowing you to add or rolloff the middle pickup, with its own volume pot.
          If you use a 1 meg volume pot on the middle pickup, you will be able to roll it further out of the circuit.
          Be worth trying.
          GL,
          T
          Thanks again. I did attempt to wire it like that using this diagram:

Wiring Diagram

in conjunction with this diagram:

Wiring Diagram

It didn't work too well. I did notice that you said to wire the pickup to the middle terminal and the switch to the outer terminal. That I did NOT do. I followed the seymour duncan diagram using the outer terminal for the pickup and middle for the switch.

Can you explain the difference please?

Comment

If the output is on the center wiper terminal when any vol. is turned down or off it grounds the output to the jack or amp.
            If you wire the output to the far terminal, when you turn the volume down you ground or kill the pickup, not the output.
            A good example of this is the J-bass wiring.
            It is wired so you can turn down either volume without killing the other pickup.
            look at this diagram and you will see the outputs are chained together.
            Wiring Diagram
            Notice in the Jbass diagram you are turning down the pickup not the output lead with the volume controls.
            T
            Terry

Comment

Working...
            X