Mystery Gibson LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Gibson LP?

Does anyone know what this is? It is a Gibson. Made in USA is stamped on the back of the Headstock. It is a slab mahogany body with a bolt on neck. Large Headstock with Klusons. No pick guard which seems factory. And... It has a factory installed Moog active tone control circuit board with Zero Center speed knobs. I believe late 70s or early 80s. I was told it was a factory prototype when I picked it up in the late 80s used.
    Serial# 80280065

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	926.5 KB
ID:	868460

If it's a bolt on neck, it may be a LP Studio knockoff...definitely not a prototype. Probably not a Gibson, but a fake.
    Epiphone sold some as a student low end model. Chinese also made them... It's not anything like a real LP...more of a student guitar.
    Heard of these being made in Philippines and sold for $40.
    You say it's a Gibson, I say it's a fake.
    There have been a lot of counterfeit LPs, and they go on ebay for up to $300.

Comment

The Gibson serial number indicates that it was made in 1980, on the 280th day of the year & the manufacturing facility was in Kalamazoo.

Comment

The guy who would know is Tim Shaw who worked for Gibson first in Kalamazoo and then in Nashville for many years, eventually becoming a VP. Tim now works in the Fender/Guild custom shop in Nashville. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that this was one of his projects.

Comment

I haven't ever used it much because I find the active tone controls and the switching architecture unwieldy. It is definitely not fake, is a Gibson, and MIA. It plays well though. Gibson made several LP type guitars with a bolt on neck around 1980, but I have just never seen one that matches this one. I have never seen another with a Moog board either.

Comment

SGM... it looks to be in the Gibson Sonex family. They were produced from 1980 -1984. All had bolt on necks, all made in Kalamazoo I believe.

Comment

Sonex didn't have wood bodies, I think they were all "resonwood", but yes, it does seem in that vein. Maybe a prototype before they had any of those bodies made. Invader was similar and all wood, but didn't come out till '85.
              Originally posted by Enzo
              I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Anything recognizable here? https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...40.m_rU6JOkYlQ

And maybe a schematic? RD77. http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?ap...ttach_id=12568

Comment

GK-55 had the flat top and fine tuners like that, but I don't think it had that active package available.
                  Edit: correction, there were GK-55's with the active system.
                  Last edited by g1; 05-07-2014, 02:22 AM.
                  I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hello,
                    Possibly custom order, or modified by request.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the leads. Despite the bolt on neck it is vey well built and I get a complements on it. It's an odd duck. I'm going to see if I can match the numbers on the Moog board to some the links provided.

Comment

Contact my friends over at Elderly Instruments. If anyone knows old Gibson it would be they.

Elderly Instruments - Welcome - Elderly Instruments
                        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Funny you should mention Elderly, one of the GK-55 examples was from their site. Appears to be almost identical except tailpiece, which may have been changed. From what I gather, most of them had the fine tuners.
                          And I stand corrected as it does have the active moog package, so it must have been available as an option.
                          GIBSON GK-55 ACTIVE (1980) (30U-17490) - Elderly Instruments
                          Last edited by g1; 05-07-2014, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by g-one View Post
                            Funny you should mention Elderly, one of the GK-55 examples was from their site. Appears to be almost identical except tailpiece, which may have been changed. From what I gather, most of them had the fine tuners.
                            And I stand corrected as it does have the active moog package, so it must have been available as an option.
                            GIBSON GK-55 ACTIVE (1980) (30U-17490) - Elderly Instruments
                            That's it! Minus the micro tuners. And I bet someone took them off of the Elderly one. I never understood the purpose of the micro tuners on this guitar since it did not have a locking nut. Thanks ! I wonder what it sold for? I have the original case as well and almost never use it.
                            Last edited by olddawg; 05-07-2014, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Ask them, they are friendly people.
                              Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
                              X