truss adjustment wrench peavey raptor series tk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truss adjustment wrench peavey raptor series tk

where do you get the specialized wrench to torque the female threaded gatling gun looking truss adjustment fitting threaded onto the truss male threading?
    long ago back in the 70's the aria pro pe2001 had this kind of specialized wrench but it was used to snug the tuning machines button tension turning. it resembled a micro sized russian sickle with a nib protruding from the inside curvature of the sickle. maybe i should hand sketch this tool and post the cellphone pic?
    thanks in advance.
    something must have caused the neck to counter-bow, string action has lowered way too much, and you can sight down the neck longitude clearly seeing the counter-bow.
    this behavior is unprecedented because tension loaded by strings should not cause counter-bow, or does tension of strings depreciate over time, trillions of wavering string vibrations? you mean, the hexagonal cores and plain steels become thinner and thinner and thinner? so this results in equivalent tension depreciation at concert pitch?
    i have never touched this truss ever from 2009 when the worship pastor gave me this tk (telecaster korea) that he used (he kept his fralins though so i ended up scrounging around for genuine fender dead pups, unwound splice open then rewind, free handouts from the repair luthier trashcan.
    i purchased the china beam, SiC wetsandpaper to true the frets longitudinally, and the crowning diamond expensive, but i've yet machined the frets procrastination. maybe resolving counter-bow will circumvent groove rectification?

Have you contacted Peavey & asked about the tool?

Comment

will attempt
      realize they're like microsoft abandoning support legacy operating systems

Comment

I don't believe that you need any kind of special spanner wrench. Normally, you use a pin (I think it's 1/8"?) or a pin punch, or even a #0 Phillips screwdriver or a small Allen wrench. Whatever fits in the hole, and goes down through the holes on both sides, which is important. It should be able to be turned like that. If it is too tight to be turned like that, well, then you have a problem.

In general, a neck that develops a backbow like that has nothing to do with the strings. Over the decades, the wood dries out and will often bend all by itself. Which direction it bends depends on the orientation of the grain and growth rings in the board that the neck was cut from. Backbowing can also be caused by swelling of the fingerboard, such as if has absorbed moisture from the air.

An old Peavey like that has a single-acting truss rod, which isn't capable of forcing the neck to curve forward. The most that you can do with the truss rod is loosen it (turning counter clockwise). Then see if the neck settles back flatter. Unfortunately, it probably won't.

Most likely, you are going to have to correct the backbow mechanically. If it isn't too bad, it can be done by leveling the frets, which will make the frets in the middle of the neck a little lower. If that isn't enough, then the frets need to be pulled, the fingerboard resurfaced, and new frets put in.

Comment

Scroll down this post to post # 8 I think it is, he posted 2 shots of the one I think you're describing. IF that's it, you'll need something 1/8 inch in diameter. A #0 phillips screwdriver, small metal rod, 1/8" straight punch, something like that. The hole goes straight through, anything that will fit will work. No more than 1/4 turn at a time, let it sit overnight and settle.

Peavey Raptor I Am I nuts? - EverythingSG.com

I don't quite understand what you're describing, but if the neck is too far from the strings, that's too much backbow, tighten it some by turning clockwise. Never more than 1/4 turn. If the strings are too close, loosen it some, again no more than 1/4 turn per 24 hours.

If it's something else entirely, we might need a better description, or a picture if you can get one.

My Peavey is a Patriot, made in 1984, and has the Gibson style adjusting nut, on the headstock and under a cover plate. I've never had to touch it in 15 years playing it. I've played the Raptor series before, the American made ones (before 2009 from what I can find out) are usually pretty good, and that link also has a serial number chart, you might be able to find out when yours was made too. Pretty much all of the American made Peaveys were good guitars. Biggest mistake I made the past few years was passing up another Peavey Patriot in Shreveport a couple of years ago...still kicking myself...and for $200 that's a killer guitar for a good price.
          Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

realize they're like microsoft abandoning support legacy operating systems

What does that mean? Unless Peavey supports their guitars in totally different fashion from their electronics, They are about the most customer freindly and supportive company in the game. When certain integrated circuits they used to use a lot became unavailable, they went so far as to make up little boards with a different IC, that could be soldered in place of the original type. That is something they still do to help you keep amps from the 1980s continue in service.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I've never had to deal with Peavey, but I've heard the same thing before, very good customer service. They seem to have a good reputation.
              Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Working...
              X