Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing pickups problems

Hello,
    I am new in this forum!!! I would appreciate some help with a problem I have.
    I recently installed my new pickups and I have two problems.
    **I have a H-S-H ,5-way ,push-pull tone setup**
    1st)When I split the bridge humbucker the coil close to the bridge remains active I want the other coil to be the active one,so how can I do that?
    2nd)In positions 2,4 which is the bridge/middle or neck/middle I am getting a buzz ,has it something to do with the phase,how do I fix that?

Thanks in advance !!!

Without having a wiring diagram, it is hard to see what you are doing and knowing if you installed te pickups correctly.

Did you replace all pickups in your guitar?
    If yes, did you do an exact replacement or did you change the wiring?
    Did your new pickups come with wiring instructions and did you follow the diagrams?

I believe the Seymore Duncan web site has wiring diagrams. Check there for wiring options.

Tom
    It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Thanks for the answer! I followed the wiring diagrams from the official site, and ended up with those problems.
      I changed the neck and bricke humbucker pickups.

Comment

Can you post a link to the instructions or scan a copy and post that here? Otherwise, we're shooting in the dark!

Comment

Sure here are the diagrams
          This is the manufacturers diagram for my setup
          hsh5w1v1ppt_nbB.pdf

This is the instructions that come with the pickups
          4Conductor.pdf

And this is the wirings from the original setup in my guitar (previous pickups) the previous pickups had 3 wires i don't know if that helps.
          X-6.pdf

Comment

Ok... Reading your original post once again.

If it were me, I would mount the pickups, observing north and south, but connect one pickup at a time. So you start with the neck pickup. Make sure you get output in switch positions 1 and 2. You then try to split the coil. It sounds like you are getting a split but it is coming from the half that you do not want? In that case, did you expriment swapping the wires? It could end up with a situation as if you installed the pickup in the cavity backwards. I will let others chime in on that.

Get the neck pickup working first, then go to the buzz prob with positions 2 and 4.

Tom

Comment

You have a buzz with bridge and middle, because they are probably the same polarity.
              The Screw coil is a south polarity coil, if the middle pickup is also a south polarity, there is no hum cancelation.
              So to select the slug north coil, of the bridge pickup, you need to apply output, not ground to the humbucker split leads.
              Wiring Diagram
              The white and black are tied together on a Dimarzio, put output on it, instead of ground.
              The other way is to reverse the humbucker wiring, which would be to apply output to green, ground the red, and apply ground to the white and black.
              With the 4 wire layout, you just need to find the right way to wire it to match the Single Coil in the middle.
              T
              "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
              Terry

Comment

If I understand the problem that you have swapping the wiring on the bridge and neck pickup will solve the buzz. Which coil is active on the neck pickup and is the one you want active? I believe your middle pickup is not RW/RP relative to the coils selected on your humbuckers. To correct this for each pickup swap the green and black wires with each other and the same for the white and red wires. Where the diagram shows red, connect white and vice versa and connect black where green is indicated. You may consider removing the wire to the back of the volume pot if you would like to use the humbuckers in humbucking mode with the middle pickup. Does everything else operate properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Tsarou View Post
                  Hello,
                  I am new in this forum!!! I would appreciate some help with a problem I have.
                  1st)When I split the bridge humbucker the coil close to the bridge remains active I want the other coil to be the active one,so how can I do that?
                  As drawn, the coil split shorts the bobbin with the slugs and leaves the bobbin with the adjustable screws in the circuit. If you flip the pickup around so that the slugs are near the bridge and the screws are away, then you will have accomplished your goal. Note that this will NOT change the phase of the pickup.

The other alternative is to change the wiring. For that pickup exchange the red and white wires. Also exchange the black and green wires. When you split coils the bobbin with screws will be shorted and the bobbin with slugs will be left in the circuit. This will NOT change the phase of the pickup.

2nd)In positions 2,4 which is the bridge/middle or neck/middle I am getting a buzz ,has it something to do with the phase,how do I fix that?
                  That doesn't sound like a phase problem. Do you get buzz with just the center pickup (position 3)?
                  Last edited by Tony Bones; 01-28-2015, 08:24 PM. Reason: fixed errors

Comment

Originally posted by Tsarou View Post
                    Once you have everything else working properly the easiest way to do that as Tony Bones suggested is to rotate the pickup 180 degrees as was done with Peter Green's LP. If you wanted to have the slug coil active you would reverse the wiring -and- flip the magnet. (Use another magnet to be sure that you did reverse the polarity.)

Steve A.

P.S. Is the buzz you mentioned just single coil hum or is it a loud buzzy buzz probably suggesting a ground problem? If it is just single coil noise in the #2 and #4 positions then you need to reverse the polarity and winding direction of either the middle pickup -or- both of the humbuckers.
                    The Blue Guitar
                    www.blueguitar.org
                    Some recordings:
                    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
                    X