Fixing a G&L ASAT MFD pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a G&L ASAT MFD pickup

I'm pretty much stumped on this: I have a G&L ASAT fitted with the MFD classic pickups (Tele-sized) and the bridge position is unusable due to microphonics. I first checked over the installation for anything loose and everything looked OK - pickup securely mounted, screws tight, no loose wires, bridge plate secure, etc.

First thought was to pot the pickup, but no change. So I mounted it in a standalone bridge with new silicone mounts on the bench to see what the handling noise was like compared to a standard Tele pickup and it's really bad. Tele bridge pickups can squeal anyhow, but there's no comparison to how this is. It seems to me that the problem may be down to the backplate and that's where the noise appears to be much worse. I can't see any crack in the epoxy, or relative movement within the pickup assembly.

So, has anyone got any ideas on improving this?

Sounds like you have been through most of the issues.
    I have fought some similar problems.
    It is usually the baseplate, or a potting issue.
    Make sure the 3 screws are threaded in the metal baseplate only.
    The 3 screw holes in the forbon should not be threaded, and be large enough for the #6 screws to clear.
    If they are threaded when you thread through the forbon and metal baseplate, you are loosening the baseplate.
    Another issue I've had on customers guitars.
    Make sure when you put the pickup in the bridge and body cavity, that the pickup clears the body, and is not touching the body anywhere.
    If it is touching the body, it can cause vibrations that cause microphonics.
    If it does touch, rout with your dremel tool.
    Are you using Surgical tubing?
    Tubing eliminates microphonics, vs. Springs.
    Another trick, is right before you mount the pickup in the guitar, is to heat the baseplate with a candle or lighter to remelt the baseplate wax.
    GL,
    T
    **Disregard if I have the wrong G&L Guitar in mind!
    Last edited by big_teee; 03-16-2015, 06:21 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I'm using tubing and the screws do clear the Forbon, but there's something still not right with this. Maybe there could be a crack in the baseplate epoxy causing to act like a diaphragm - it's quite thin compared to a regular Tele.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Bailey View Post
        ...it's quite thin compared to a regular Tele.
        Have you measured the dc resistance of the coil?

Comment

Progress on this got a little sidelined this week....

It's 5.9k. I was referring though to the pickup baseplate being thin rather than the sound. I've decided to vacuum re-pot just to see if the wax needs to penetrate further. Apart from that I'll turn my attention to the bridge plate and see if any improvement in the mounting can be made.

Comment

As an update to this I vacuum potted the pickup with no change whatsoever. Arrgghhhh......

Comment

Working...
            X