Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing a Bigsby vibrato arm myself. Safe? Smart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a Bigsby vibrato arm myself. Safe? Smart?

Hi, to cut to the case, I need a vibrato arm. I could of course just go buy a guitar with one allready installed, but as we all know (too well) guitars are very expensive, doesn't matter how much we want them. So instead I've chosen to install one myself, that is if I have the guts.

Ok, I've got an Epiphone Sheraton II guitar possibly equiped with two TV Classic-pickups (thinking of buying such). I saw a video on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23DH-uFn6A8) that showed me how to install a Bigsby to a Epiphone Dot Studio, which is more or less the exact same guitar as mine, and it all seemed pretty simple. What I'm more concerned about is if it's such a smart idea thinking of the sound and the fact that I'd be drilling several holes into my guitar as well as leaving two rather big holes, where the last tailpiece would have been, open. So I was hoping you could share some of your experiences doing something like this? Will the guitar stay tuned even after using a self-installed vibrato arm? What about the holes? Will they damage the guitar in any way?

In advance, thank you!

Easy enough. Just be sure you measure the position of to-be-made holes MANY times before any drilling, and make sure the drilling device is secured and able to precisely locate the hole. The key thing to remember about Bigsbys is that the roller bar must end up being perfectly parallel with the nut such that any pressure applied with the whammy bar is equally transferred across the strings.

Comment

Those Sheraton II's are nice guitars once you swap out the hardware. I did one for a guy. He put in Duncan Alnico II humbuckers, new pots and switches, and a new bridge.

Bigsby's aren't hard to install. They attach to the rear of the guitar by the strap button. Usually it's three screws. Just make sure everything is centered, and use a dill with the proper size bit to predrill for the screws.
      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

It's not hard, you just have to measure right, and get the good Bigsby. The cheaper ones are crap.

A cheaper, and much quicker trem would be to put on one of those "Les Trems". It replaces your tail piece. It's not a Floyd, but a Bigsby isn't either. Off hand, I'm not sure if they measure out the same as an Asian guitar.

Comment

Working...
        X