Gibson SG faded- pickup suggestions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
    Cool Sounding Track, I like it better than most of this thread!
    Last edited by big_teee; 05-27-2015, 09:35 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

This is what a SG is supposed to sound like!

Last edited by big_teee; 05-27-2015, 05:40 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Comment

Something else that you can do is change the magnet in the offending pickup. If it's a 490R, it has an Alnico II. You can buy replacement bar magnets such as Alnico V, which can add a bit of brightness. Pickup surgery but not open heart stuff. Disassemble, push out the old, push in the new (usually).
          50's wiring might work for you...or not. Costs only time to try it. Pots and caps are cheap & easy to audition. Or, if you have the P90 GAS, SD PhatCats drop right in & sound terrific.

Out of curiosity, what are you playing this SG through? Had to ask.

OK...back to lurking status for me.

Archie

Comment

Good luck Sea Chief. Are you aware that you are insulting some of the best
            and kindest PROFESSIONALS in the business that were willing to waste their VERY valuable time on you? Let's hope you don't have a REAL problem in the future.

Comment

It is actually amazing how many very skilled and knowledgeable people are willing to help any struggling noob that steps up for a question. Imagine how many more thousands of pieces of gear would be in the landfill had it not been for this forum!!

Comment

eschertron- Ive just rewired to "50's wiring" a definite slight improvement: more in terms of taking off a layer of mud rather than brightening, and a slight (i think) less vol output too/ fine with me. I went with 0.015 O.Drop for the neck. Still overall muffled dark sound to the bridge/ mud still there.. maybe a 0.01 there then/ see. That was worth a few hrs of www trawling & applying it.

Maybe now, with the vols replaced too I may just be ok, not needing to shell out £120 etc. Good stuff, thx alot. SC

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                  Good luck Sea Chief. Are you aware that you are insulting some of the best
                  and kindest PROFESSIONALS in the business that were willing to waste their VERY valuable time on you? Let's hope you don't have a REAL problem in the future.
                  Kind? I dont call bullying kind: if a few trolls (sorry, professionals are they !! we have professional kids now?) want to waste such VERY VALUABLE TIME (wow) with no help but just childish jibes then they can fuck off &Ill insult back. straight up olddawg.

JazzP and eschertron etc are kind, sure. Now, they could be professionals if anyone is, their opinions respected. But not those of such obvious pricks as tee-heee! hes maybe just out of school & little better to do than troll/ snipe at the op.

Comment

This guy makes SGM seem pleasant, lol. At least he had a point occasionally. Dude you are truly clueless. No one is bullying anyone. To quote Forest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Comment

Originally posted by olddawg View Post
                      This guy makes seem pleasant, lol. At least he had a point occasionally. Dude you are truly clueless. No one is bullying anyone. To quote Forest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does".
                      ah more insults/ join the heard olddawg. you seem so desperate to impress for your 'likes'/ lol shit, makes me laugh (sgm? whose point? no idea wtf yr on about or any interest. & anyone whose seen let alone quotes forest fucking gump is pretty fkn sad).

big teee clicks his little 'like' button again(giggles). goodness sake grow up (& that goes to a good few of you too).

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                        Well, that's not quite fair, John. I don't think any of Frank's tools were "stock".
                        If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                        If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                        We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                        MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

This is This

Comment

SC,

It doesn't sound like much joy from the direct wiring. I mean, you WILL want a volume control after all. I'd say a different pickup is a good idea. There are many humbuckers that are distinctly NOT muddy. Seymour Duncan Makes a Billy Gibbons model (Pearly Gates I think) and a Rick Derringer model (don't know the name) that are both edgy as humbuckers go. There are other brands too, but Seymour Duncan use to have a "if you don't like it you can return it" policy. I don't know if they still do. If they do it's just the sort of thing you need. Like amp speakers, pickups can pile up quickly when trying to find the right one for a specific situation.

JM2C
                            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                              Well, that's not quite fair, John. I don't think any of Frank's tools were "stock".
                              If you check out the whole clip, He was playing through a mic'd up Pignose. How's that for non-pretentious?

Comment

Originally posted by John_H View Post
                                If you check out the whole clip, He was playing through a mic'd up Pignose. How's that for non-pretentious?
                                It sounded just as bad as my Pignose too. Frank didn't much care what he played through. I read one interview where he mentioned playing through one side of a solid state home stereo amp. Once he got a tone he could live with out of it by using a compressor and a dirt box he just never bothered to change until after it broke.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X