unwanted noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• unwanted noise

The Guitar is a (LTD EC something cheap), I put (Baritone set of strings) on it, re machined the (les paul type bridge) to get it super tight, got it into intonation with tubo tuner .002 of one beat, it's stays in tune and is true throughout the whole fretboard, everyone loves this thing, The problem is as soon as I give it some tone pot the unwanted scratching, disconnecting or dropping in and out, like a wire is lose, noise kicks in, it has two humbuckers, two volume and one tone pots, am I restricting or overloading that resister on the tone pot with that one odd ball 68 or 70 size string, whats the best I can do, maybe use a ceramic pot with a deeper sounding resister, I'm now getting out of my limited experience about wiring. Thanks Charlie

The problem is probably either a bad pot or capacitor. Basses have the same controls so if all the parts are working you shouldn't have problems. I would inspect the wiring or maybe replace the pot as a bad pot could have similar problems. Is the noise only when moving the knob or any time the pot is not wide open? I'm betting on a bad pot.

Comment

Thanks Richard, The black or blue ice ceramic pot and the right cap, and maybe shielding, grounding, thanks for the input, going to open it up and order parts.

Comment

Originally posted by AO-63 Charlie View Post
        Thanks Richard, The black or blue ice ceramic pot and the right cap, and maybe shielding, grounding, thanks for the input, going to open it up and order parts.
        My first guess would be a dirty pot. Caig DeoxIT D5 ("Red") is pretty much the industry standard. (They also make DeoxIT Gold G5 which you can optionally use after D5 which "enhances, lubricates and protects electronic connections"- I use it on new pots and switches as well as the old ones I just cleaned with D5.)

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cl.../dp/B0002BBV4G

BTW to enlarge the nut slots for larger gauge strings I've had great luck with the $7 tip cleaners for acetylene torches. (I use an $80 set of regular nut files to make the slots deeper but the tip cleaners should work for that as well.)

Amazon.com: Hot Max 22034 Standard Tip Cleaner Kit: Home Improvement

HTH

Steve Ahola

P.S. I see that Caig also sells D5 and G5 in 2ml squeeze tubes for ~$7.50 each. Very handy if you need just a little.

BTW I just used D5 and G5 (along with Zoom Spout turbine oil) yesterday to clean and lubricate the bearings on the heater/AC blower motor for my 1988 MBZ E300. (Since I bought it 18 months ago I had to keep the fan speed set to High as it would eventually slow down and stop when set to Auto which told me that the bearings were very thirsty.) I had a mechanic friend pull the blower out and with each shaft up I allowed the lubricants to soak into the sealed sleeve bearings. It works great now!

http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITLiquid-s.../dp/B0015A5AAY
        Last edited by Steve A.; 07-15-2015, 05:02 PM.
        The Blue Guitar
        www.blueguitar.org
        Some recordings:
        https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Hi Steve A, Wow I've been to your web sight before, Thanks for replying, Hey I've been intonating useing the higher harmonics with a strobe at .002, each string to itself and then with the next with no compensation, it's like super fine tune, would you like to try it, I'll send you the recipe, the tuning just jumps out at you as being right, chords and notes all over everywhere match up perfect like you've never been in tune before. Thanks Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by AO-63 Charlie View Post
            The black or blue ice ceramic pot and the right cap
            Would someone tell me what this means?
            I've never heard of "black or blue ice ceramic pots"- unless you're referring to cermet trim pots.

FWIW, some folks avoid using potentially microphonic ceramic caps- while others say it makes no difference in a guitar tone circuit.
            http://music-electronics-forum.com/t39932/
            Last edited by rjb; 07-22-2015, 04:48 AM. Reason: Brain fart, 2nd par: Meant caps, typed pots.
            DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
            X