Q on Strat pickup pole spacings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q on Strat pickup pole spacings.

Hi- squier strat, put some alnico p'ups in but oddly the neck one's poles are lesser Width both to the other 2.. and to the squiers (all 3 same on these).. so my aged oldy squier p'up covers wont fit this one. So I got 2 oldy yellowy ones, and 1 nasty ott cheapy-white neck p'up cover.

[When discussing this are we to measure between the outermost -centrepoints- of the small round poles?]

What are the standard strat rule of thumb? neck one with narrower-spaced poles, other two wider/ same? or as my squier and all 3 same?

Thanks, SC

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
    [When discussing this are we to measure between the outermost -centrepoints- of the small round poles?]
    Yes.

The pole spacing on my pickups is bridge and middle 52mm. Neck 50mm.
    Last edited by Dave H; 10-24-2015, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Hi DaveH. Ok so yours same as my drop in set, but not my fender squier. So Ive no idea whats what.

Does a standard set of pickups covers comprise: 2x 52mm and 1x 50mm? I dont see any info regularly given just 'set of 3 covers' (which implies all the same Id have thought, unless stated one different).

Can anyone confirm their strat pickup pole spacings (& what type of strat?) thx

Comment

For what it's worth? For everyone out there addressing this issue!
        Outside of a few recent import strat guitars?
        All strat pickups have been the same size through the years, and all 3 pickups, and covers are the same size, & spacing.
        Because some of the imports have a narrower bridge, some come with a narrower spaced neck pickup.
        If you buy most any vintage style pickups, all 3 pickups will be the same spacing.
        Also if you buy hand made pickups, most will be the same spacing, with the same covers.
        I make several fender type vintage strat sets, and all are the same spacing.
        Narrower strat neck parts for the most part are not available.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Ive now have a MIM fender strat scratchplate fully loaded with the neck, mid, bridge pole spacings all different..

52, 50, 48 mm.

So there we go- seems no rule of thumb to rely on for fender strats. What a pita.

Comment

The Stratocaster is the most cloned guitar in existence. Even by Fender itself (when they moved production from Japan, to Mexico, etc...) T is right about standard spacing. If Fender had some guitars made elsewhere for a couple of years and the bean counters turned a blind eye, that's the breaks for the owner. There are parts available for Mexico and Japan strats if you look for them. All incarnations of all models not withstanding.
            "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
            You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Yes indeed. So to say it again/ as I just said before, & from evidence of the 2 fender strat eg's measured directly (^) & s'one else who seems to think all 3 are the same (lets say true).. then its established: there's no standard rule of thumb for a fender stratocaster. Add my squier with just odd 50mm.. & its all over the shop. Terrific!

Thats going to mess an awful lot of folks up simply buying a strat set of covers then assuming all the same, or who have 3 different & they find just 1 fits, or 2 odd ones don't fit.

There we go- I suggest only way is ask seller to measure each then.

Comment

Ive now have a MIM fender strat scratchplate fully loaded with the neck, mid, bridge pole spacings all different..

52, 50, 48 mm.

So there we go- seems no rule of thumb to rely on for fender strats. What a pita.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	picard-wtf-meme-generator-so-there-we-go-there-s-no-rule-of-thumb-473cb9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	839950
                Yes indeed. So to say it again/ as I just said before, & from evidence of the 2 fender strat eg's measured directly (^) & s'one else who seems to think all 3 are the same (lets say true).. then its established: there's no standard rule of thumb for a fender stratocaster. Add my squier with just odd 50mm.. & its all over the shop. Terrific!

Thats going to mess an awful lot of folks up simply buying a strat set of covers then assuming all the same, or who have 3 different & they find just 1 fits, or 2 odd ones don't fit.

There we go- I suggest only way is ask seller to measure each then.
                If you're buying used MIM, and squier pickups from auction sites, or classifieds, You should be prepared to accept whatever arrives. It's not too hard to "age" your covers to a satisfactory fake patina anyhow.

>Take a new white cover, scuff the surface with some 0000 steel wool, and soak it in some strong tea for a while. It's not a perfect solution, (coffee is) but it'll be a better match than pure white.

Comment

Overall pickguard & route size should be the same, for all pickups in question.
                  If you want vintage specs, just change pickups and covers,
                  Sometimes import pickguards have undersized holes, and they have to be enlarged a little bit, to accommodate standard 52mm covers.
                  Pickup sellers, usually sell pickups and covers together. I do.
                  If you are keeping the stock pickups, and changing just the covers you will probably have problems.
                  In that case you will have to mic the pickup spacing, and know what you are buying.
                  Good Luck,
                  T
                  Last edited by big_teee; 11-01-2015, 11:11 PM.
                  "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
                  Terry

Comment

Hi DaveH. Ok so yours same as my drop in set, but not my fender squier. So Ive no idea whats what.
                    If you need some oldy yellowy ones for your drop in set I think I have some you can have. They are 2x 52mm, 1x 50mm (I think). I'm away from home at the moment. I'll check when I get back tomorrow.

Comment

Hi John H- yes that would be much appreciated.. Im having a gtr day today in fact/ was going to get the 000 paper & tea out, but I know it'll all go wrong.

FWIW. I got my initial dims wrong. Ok here goes..

Squier: all 3 @ 52mm.
                      MIM fender strat (real fender): 48, 50, 52.
                      Aftermarket (budget) alnico set: 50, 52, 52.

Its the aftermarket set I have/ want in my squier pickguard: so indeed its a set of off-white (naturally bit yellowy rather than that bit orangy off-white new ones there seem to be) in 50, 52, 52. John H you might be the man!

Thanks chaps. SC

Comment

Aftermarket (budget) alnico set: 50, 52, 52.

Its the aftermarket set I have/ want in my squier pickguard: so indeed its a set of off-white (naturally bit yellowy rather than that bit orangy off-white new ones there seem to be) in 50, 52, 52.
                        OK Chief I'm back home and I've just measured them. They are 50, 52, 52 (pictures below). If you think they'll be OK PM me your address and I'll put them in the post.

Dave H.

Name:	IMG_0910.JPG
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	839970

Name:	IMG_0911.JPG
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	839971

Comment

Hi Dave H- I think they would be just splendid tbh. Thanks so much/ will pm now.

Comment

And they match my teeth too, how's about that for a fluke?

Comment

They are in the post

Comment

Working...
                              X