telecaster question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• telecaster question...

what is the difference between an american tele and a mexican tele?

electronics???quality of tuning keys or switches???

does an american tele SOUND different than a mexican tele?

Which exact model?

There are many different models coming from Mexico and America. There are the Classic, the Classic Player and the Standard for example which are made in mexico and there are the American Standards, American Deluxes and American Vintages made in the States. There are evenm more models but I think it would be best to browse www.fender.com first to narrow down your choices by the specs (fret size, fretboard radius, pickup combination, ...). It mostly just depends on what you prefer. IMHO especially the Mexican Classic series is a great bang for the buck. They all will sound a bit different but not like night and day. Just let your ears decide. Try as many as possible at local stores and don't be tempted to order online without ever playing the model you chose. Even within the same model you will find good and bad ones (which sometime can be fixed with a good setup). A guitar is not necessarely worse just because it's cheaper. There is a lot of variety and it's not an easy job finding the right one for you. FWIW: My favourite Tele in the current lineup is the American VIntage '52 but YMMV ...

BTW ... IMHO the tuning keys on the mexicanTeles are fine. The switches are plastic as far as I know but they will probably last pretty long. In case they ever fail they are easy to replace and rather cheap ... I don'T think that would happen anytime soon anyway.

Comment

mexican tele

the thing is i am left handed..and a local shop has one in stock...the FIRST one i have ever played. i have 2 lefty strats....but the lord thought he would have some fun with me and make me lefty.i cant hardly find banjos or dobros or anything that fits me.

i need to get the model # huh?

i imagine that thing will be there a while.

it is ruby maroon sort of color...and they said $428....and the salesboy said he could lower some more if i wanted it...but NO case...whatsoever.

Comment

I don't know what they go for in the states but if it's a new one I bet it's a Mexican Standard for that price. I don't think that you will run into any problems quality wise. Check if it's set up correctly (no high frets, nut slots cut nicely, ...) and if you like it, go for it. I have even played affinity Squiers that sounded great. However if you have some more money to burn I'd definitely check out the Classic (If you like vintage frets) or an American one ... they sure feel nice. I don't know which ones of them are available left handed tho ...

Comment

tele..

the thing about me getting something different is they have to order it special and they dont like to come down any at all on the price.

i dont blame them....gotta make money.

but i am not a professional player or anything like that.

if its not the best one made or highest quality it is not the end of the world.

i am thinking about it though...

Comment

I say buy it. If you don't like the tone get some new pickups. That's the part they skimp on mostly, such as using molded plastic bobbins instead of the usual forbon haeld together by the alnico magnets. The plastic bobbins have holes for either the magnets or steel rods. With the steel rods they use ceramic magnets on the bottom.

Since the wire doesn't touch the magnets on the plastic bobbin, the pickups sound a bit different.

Other than hardware, the mexican instruments aren't bad. I have a regular customer that buys Mexican Fender Jazz basses and Squire Jazz Basses, and then he has me change all the hardware and electronics.
            It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
            www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I have heard that they are pretty good. A mexican tele is on my list to buy for a test guitar for my pickups.

I spoke to the manager of Privatereserveguitars.com (musiciansfriend owns them) and he said that he had one and he loved it. Played better than many american guitars that he owns.

As david said, swap out the pickups and buy some boutique ones from one of the makers on the pickup forum here.

around $400 you can't beat it.
              www.guitarforcepickups.com

Comment

I picked up a Mexican Tele and a US Tele in a store once and the Mexican Tele sounded a lot better unplugged than the US made one. Had that real Tele snap and twang. The US guitar sounded rather dull. Clearly that would be the better sounding guitar of the two.

I've also seen some real nice Mexican Jazz Basses lately. And some not so nice. One had a neck that was twisting and delaminating.

But if it looks and sounds good buy it.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

They don't always measure the same.

If you're considering upgrading, be aware that not all components measure the same. One thing I really like, is a true tele bridge, with the 3 barrel saddles. Buying a Mexi may prohibit the swapping out of bridges, due to the placement of the pick up on the bridge plate, string holes in the body etc. It may also not take an American standard style tele bridge.

If you like it as is, then don't fuss, just get it. Mexican guitars seem to at least not be rip offs. They usually aren't great due to skimped on electronics. Woods are basic, nothing fancy.

Comment

I've got Mexican Tele that I swapped out the stock bridge and installed a vintage with the 3 barrel saddels. It fit fine, no issues with lining up holes. The only thing that might be a problem, if that, is that the rout for the pickup shows on the sides of the bridge a little bit, but not much to worry about though.
                    Clyde

Comment

Mex Tele

I bought a Mexican Nashville Tele, sight unseen, because it was offered to me cheap by a friendly dealer and I knew there could be a profit in it.
                      I never sold it. For some strange and unaccountable reason it has become my best friend. My USA Strat never sees daylight, my LP Special is now my second guitar, and I only use another guitar if I want a particular sound.
                      The Tele plays great and sounds great!

Comment

I bought a MIM standard Telecaster about 4 years ago with no regrets. I had played almost every Telecaster in my local Guitar Center and kept going back to this one. The only thing I had to do is set it up to my liking when I got it home. The only problem I have ever had with it, which coincidentally happened tonight, was when I plugged it in, there was NO sound from the bridge pickup. I unscrewed the switch plate, got out my jumper cables, wired the pickup directly to the cord, and still nothing. Pretty sure the pickup is dead. I didn't feel like playing with it anymore tonight, so I put it away. Oh well...time to go pickup shopping I guess.
                        I also have 2 MIM Stratocasters.

Comment

Working...
                        X