Gibson SG- odd vol pots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdf64 View Post
    I very much doubt that Gibson make the pots (or any of the guitar bits and bobs) and so it may be unrealistic to expect them to verify the key spec of every individual part they buy in.
    Good practice may be to check the easily measurable parameters of 1% or 0.1% of the batch at goods in; if ok they go into the parts bins then the guitar.
    If the controls work at final test then it's good to go.
    My guess is that CTS (or whoever made the pots) may have had a bad run of 300k tracks and fell short of the number Gibson had ordered, so made up the shortfall with regular 220k/250k tracks and hoped no-one would catch them out.
    Take note John_H, bigtee, JMFahey: a helpful reply. No sacrcasm, meanness, or provocation. Just simply help. Thats all I wanted, & thats all I expect if this site is worth its salt.

This pdf64, is exactly the help I expect from the good folks on here. So, can I just call this (CTS made) gibson pot a 250K ? being as it is a close match.. rather than a 300k? I guess there's no difference in operation/ function of these two IE internal bits are the same-?

Comment

Like I said, learn how to research and trouble shoot.
      If you would learn some research skills, 95% of your questions would be answered.
      Pots are something we all contend with on a regular basis.
      T
      Last edited by big_teee; 01-10-2016, 03:22 PM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief View Post
        Take note John_H, bigtee, JMFahey: a helpful reply. No sacrcasm, meanness, or provocation. Just simply help. Thats all I wanted, & thats all I expect if this site is worth its salt.

This pdf64, is exactly the help I expect from the good folks on here. So, can I just call this (CTS made) gibson pot a 250K ? being as it is a close match.. rather than a 300k? I guess there's no difference in operation/ function of these two IE internal bits are the same-?
        You could have obtained the same info from Google!
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I put it down to, tho I have a strong feeling (from experience I smell it a mile off) the reason for these mean-spirited posts twds me are anti-semitic. I get this feeling before xmas and I get it again now- strongly.
          No one here does that or cares about that!
          Last edited by big_teee; 01-10-2016, 03:23 PM.
          Terry

Comment

tho I have a strong feeling (from experience I smell it a mile off) the reason for these mean-spirited posts twds me are anti-semitic. I get this feeling before xmas and I get it again now- strongly.
            I has nothing to do with your poor choice of words and attacking spirit... We are Nazis!! Great!@!
            When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

Wow what decent folks you all are! so charming, friendly and polite. Thanks so much for the replies and help.
              You received dozens of helpful, charming and polite answers in your multiple threads and you managed to turn all of them into some bitter sour thing.

Apparantly I've "received an infraction" via PM from John-H !! Right so, obviously there's difinite picking on/ against me from you three. How sad & pathetic you feel the need to do this. I simply asked a question, and such mean & vitriolic replies?
              You originally asked a question, was correctly answered but you rejected all answers (why ask then) and turned each ane every one of them in a dispute.
              Really, : "How sad & pathetic you feel the need to do this." .
              Don't you have something useful to do in Life?

just the nature of the www I put it down to, tho I have a strong feeling (from experience I smell it a mile off) the reason for these mean-spirited posts twds me are anti-semitic. I get this feeling before xmas and I get it again now- strongly.
              Now this is Paranoia of the first class.
              Where is the anti-semitism?

To be more precise, where is the **semite**?
              I see no one.

Big-tee, John-H and JMFahey (I "call myself a liar" do I? erm.. what on earth are you talking about? this is quite hilarious)..
              When you talk about your guitar (see text highlighted in red) and claim "no, I'm not talking about it" then you are lying.
              Since you are denying your own post, visible a few lines above on the same screen or the earlier one, definitely on the same thread, then you are calling it a lie.
              Since you wrote it yourself, both the post and the one denying it, you are calling yourself a liar.
              Both can't be true at the same time, of course, but maybe that's a too fine point for you to understand.
              how about just leaving me alone, leaving my posts alone/ just refrain from replying on any thread I write?
              How about not posting any more?
              That would definitely solve the problem.

IF you post anything, then you are BEGGING for an answer.

Continuing these threads, the way you do (which *clearly* shows you don't care about the answers, just stirring the pot) shows you have nothing else in Life, that you are on your knees waiting for an answer, "negative attention is better than no attention"

I suggest you read a little about this, it might help you live a better Life:

Sometimes any attention is better than none. - Psychotherapy
              robincgoldstein.com/.../sometimes-any-attention-is-b...
              22 oct. 2013 - Have you ever noticed how it often doesn't matter to your child whether you are focused on them in a negative or positive manner? Children ...
              Better to be bullied than ignored in the workplace, study finds
              http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...40529100715.ht...
              29 may. 2014 - The study, Is negative attention better than no attention? The comparative effects of ostracism and harassment at work, is forthcoming in the ...
              A Treatment Planning Approach for Children Seeking ...
              therapytools.us/mobile/course_article.php?course...
              Attention: For many children, negative attention is better than no attention at all. If a child appears to be acting out with the purpose of gaining attention, then the ...
              Teaching Discipline & Self-Respect: Effective Strategies, ...
              https://books.google.com.ar/books?isbn=1412915481 -
              SiriNam S. Khalsa - 2007 - ‎Education
              Seeking attention is a primary cause for many misbehaviors. Why is this ... To a needy student, even negative attention is better than being ignored. Teaching ...
              Addressing Challenging Behaviors and Mental Health Issues ...
              https://books.google.com.ar/books?isbn=1317748093 -
              Mojdeh Bayat - 2015 - ‎Education
              behaviors and in response usually receive negative attention. ... For a child who needs it, getting even negative attention is better than receiving no attention at ...
              You've turned a simple question, which could be fully solved in a short thread, less than 10 posts ... if you hard EVER answered just ONE of the questions and tests we suggested, into an endless quest and waste of time and effort.

You have effectively bogged down at least 25% of the Forum bandwidth and 90% of the Forum good Karma, stealing it from others who actually need and deserve it.
              Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Code:
                Dictionary definition of Anti-Semitism or Anti-Semitic or Anti-Semite: 
                noun
                discrimination against or prejudice or hostility toward Jews.
                Sea Chief when you completely misrepresent this forum by insinuating that people here are discriminating against or showing prejudice or hostility towards you because of ethnicity that is where I draw the line. Get your facts straight before you make such awkward claims. I have followed all of your threads and never once has anyone ever showed you hostility because of ethnicity. However, that is what you claimed and it is an insult to everyone here that participates on the site. If this site allowed that type of behaviour I would cancel my membership and never return. Lets just be clear that such claims must be backed up by actual proof.
                When the going gets weird... The weird turn pro!

Comment

So, I get home from the bar mitzvah gig to find a teapot tempest boiling over, and that I'm anti-Semitic.*
                  Oh wait a minute, I see... BT, JH, and JMF are anti-Semitic.
                  I'm just charming. Ain't that something.
                  No one has ever accused me of being charming.

SC, you have in your possession a 219K pot and a 223K pot.
                  I don't see this as a problem in need of a solution.
                  Either use them, keep them for possible future use, or get rid of them.

If you want more unsubstantiated guesses about how they got into your ex-SG (Significant Guitar), I'm sure we all could put on our Speculators(TM) and come up with some doozies. I really don't see how that would be helpful or productive, but it might be fun.

l'chaim,
                  Mr. Charm

* True story.
                  Last edited by rjb; 01-10-2016, 07:15 PM. Reason: more choices, truth stranger than fiction
                  DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Chief
                    Apparantly I've "received an infraction" via PM from John-H !! Right so, obviously there's difinite picking on/ against me from you three. How sad & pathetic you feel the need to do this. I simply asked a question, and such mean & vitriolic replies? just the nature of the www I put it down to, tho I have a strong feeling (from experience I smell it a mile off) the reason for these mean-spirited posts twds me are anti-semitic. I get this feeling before xmas and I get it again now- strongly.
                    אין לי דבר נגד הדת היהודית. יש לי בעיות עם אנשים מטופשים. יש לי כבוד רב עבור בפורום זה. אני הטוב ביותר כדי לשמור על טיפשים כמו עצמך הורס לעצמו. יש לי ספק כוח בלתי מוגבל של infractions. נראה כי אתה'מחדש המבקשת אחר.

Comment

Google Translate is my friend...

Justin
                      "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
                      "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
                      "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Wow what decent folks you all are! so charming, friendly and polite. Thanks so much for the replies and help.

Apparantly I've "received an infraction" via PM from John-H !! Right so, obviously there's difinite picking on/ against me from you three. How sad & pathetic you feel the need to do this. I simply asked a question, and such mean & vitriolic replies? just the nature of the www I put it down to, tho I have a strong feeling (from experience I smell it a mile off) the reason for these mean-spirited posts twds me are anti-semitic. I get this feeling before xmas and I get it again now- strongly.

Big-tee, John-H and JMFahey (I "call myself a liar" do I? erm.. what on earth are you talking about? this is quite hilarious).. how about just leaving me alone, leaving my posts alone/ just refrain from replying on any thread I write? you don't really paint yourselves in a very good light tbh.

SC.
                        Are you serious? I never insulted you. I questioned your motives. Is your self-esteem that low? Perhaps you have some sort of narcissistic behavioral disorder that drives you create chaos on message boards. I don't know, but this isn't the place for it. You will never see a more helpful place than this, but You are poisoning this wonderful well of knowledge.

How dare you label me, and others like this. That is reprehensible. I don't like chasing people away, but you don't fit in well here.

Comment

What on earth? Sheesh...
                          Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

modne zakh iz, az hebreish (andere vi biblishe eyner vos iz gants andersh aun bashtimt mer bagrenetst) iz a * modern * shprakh, azoy file idishe gelernte, khull respekted rbnim, zogn (rekht in meyn meynung) az der "emes" idishe shprakh iz eydish. gegebn az es iz geven geredt durkh ruv idn far lpkhus 500 yar aun mistome veg mer, es iz veydli farshpreytn iber rizik teyln fun eyrope aun kariz a raykh kultur atatsht tsu es, der hoypt literarishe aun theatrikal, di derklerung kariz a plats fun vog mit mir .
                            aoyserdem, ikh * gevaxn * seraundad durkh eydish geredt imagrants, esn gefilte fish aun kez shtikl plus "vin gebex" aun assisted aun rentad (far rak festivals, fun loyf) ift, di buenas eyres eydish teater, nor 6 oder 8 blax avek fun meyn heym.
                            azoy ikh kenen redn mit hipsh derfarung vegn es.
                            in fakt keyn fun zey gevaust oder geredt hebreish, vos iz beysikli religyeze shtopn, nit teglekh lebn.

aun vos hat nit mzrkh eyrope idn redn * tsvishn zey * beshas teglekh lebn ?: beysikli zeyer eygn versye fun ​​di hige lshun (persish / araber / shpanish / terkish / etk.), in fakt ikh gefunen aun ken leykht redn mit idn in istanbul ... in ladino (yo. "latino", zeyer eygn versye fun ​​shpanish).
                            azoy ton nit "antisemite" aundz vayl ir vet zeyn sapreyzd.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny thing is that Hebrew (other than Biblical one which is quite different and definitely more limited) is a *modern* language, so many Jewish Scholars, including respected Rabbis, say (properly in my view) that the "real" Jewish Language is Yiddish . Given that it was spoken by most Jews for at least 500 years and probably way more, it was widely spread over huge parts of Europe and carries a rich culture attached to it, mainly Literary and Theatrical, the statement carries a lot of weight with me.
                            Besides, I *grew* surrounded by Yiddish speaking immigrants, eating gefilte fish and cheese cake plus "Vienna pastry" and assisted and rented (for Rock festivals, of course) IFT , the Buenos Aires Yiddish theatre, only 6 or 8 blocks away from my home.
                            So I can speak with considerable experience about it.
                            In fact none of them knew or spoke Hebrew, which was basically Religious stuff, not daily life.

And what did non Eastern Europe Jews speak *among them* during daily Life?: basically their own version of the local language (Persian/Arab/Spanish/Turkish/etc.) , in fact I found and could easily speak with Jews in Istanbul ... in Ladino (yes. "Latino", their own version of Spanish).
                            So don't "antisemite" us because you will be surprised.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Israel: the Sword and the Harp: The Mystique of Violence ...
                            https://books.google.com.ar/books?isbn=0838675344
                            Ferdynand Zweig - 1970 - ‎Israel
                            It should be mentioned that, for ultra-orthodox Jews, Yiddish is the true Jewish language, and they often oppose the use of Hebrew for every day. Hebrew for ...
                            Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

"Trolling" redirects here. For other uses, see Troll (disambiguation).
                              "Please do not feed the troll" redirects here. For the Wikipedia advice, see Wikipediaeny recognition.

Don't feed the trolls sign, near Fløyen, Bergen, Norway
                              In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion,[3] often for their own amusement.

This sense of the word "troll" and its associated verb trolling are associated with Internet discourse, but have been used more widely. Media attention in recent years has equated trolling with online harassment. For example, mass media has used troll to describe "a person who defaces Internet tribute sites with the aim of causing grief to families."[4][5] In addition, depictions of trolling have been included in popular fictional works such as the HBO television program The Newsroom, in which a main character encounters harassing individuals online and tries to infiltrate their circles by posting negative sexual comments himself.[6][7]
                              soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo View Post
                                What on earth? Sheesh...
                                Just plain meshuganah, I tell ya.
                                DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Working...
                                X