Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best guitar kit out there

Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask if any of you found a really good guitar kit out there that you put together and you found it to be really good quality? I have thought about trying one but not sure what's good and what's trash. My guitar building has always been with good quality stuff like Warmoth, USA custom and also using good quality fender bodies, neck too. I've taken some Squire strats and built some really nice good playing guitars that I have Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5522.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	870380had people want to buy from me after they play on them. here is a pic of a Squier Deluxe that was rebuilt and refretted that sounds really good and plays better than most American strats I've owned.

What I'm looking for is something more like a PRS body style dual cutaway but with a nice thin neck and a good frets. Preferable mahogany body. I once had an Ibanez Studio 50 guitar back in the early 80s and although it was a nice playing guitar the tone was so so... I kind of want something like that. I just sold off a real Gibson SG Special I had for years but it had the 59 neck and it just never really did anything for me. Of course I thing I'm safe to say I've always been a strat person so finding something a bit different isn't so easy...

Thanks

Kits while inexpensive, are pretty locked in design wise, wouldn't you be better off going with Warmoth? A Warmoth build can also be bought in pieces, spreading cost.

For example the Saga HT-10 ($260) is a PRS type design but only basswood and the frets could require some real reworking...

For comparison a Rondo Hawker 7 string with mahogany body is only $370
    Agile Hawker 727 Black Flame - RondoMusic.com
    Last edited by tedmich; 02-28-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Yeah, those Agile's are really great for the money. My Agile ST-625 EB is quite good – just needed some nut slot filing. Not quite the same spec as you want, but it's the cheapest guitar with Stainless frets and an Ebony FB I know of – worth considering as a workhorse alone for the lack of any fret maintenance needed: AL-3001 HSBF Stainless - RondoMusic.com

Ebony feels great after a few treatments with something like HOWARD's 'FEED -N- WAX'. Wipe a few drops in each fret space, let it sit a few minutes, and wipe clean. The orange oil penetrates and moisturizes, while the bee's wax seals it in and gives a smooth feel. Ebony can feel dry. It can take few treatments to really smooth out, but it's really nice when it's done. Repeat the process when it feels dry or tacky.

I wouldn't change the pickups either. They should be the standard ~8k DCR 4.5H PAF spec. Use a low capacitance cable of ~200pF (as was common before the mid 60's) for sweet ~4.3kHz “bell” tone articulation, and adjust the heights and pole screws per string. A simple mod of a 1~1.5nF cap value on either tone knob can be used for a 1.5~2kHz sweep for P90 to NuMetal sounds below ~5 on the knob. A ~500k resistor wired over either tone knob (wiring the outer lug to ground) can then keep it from sounding too bright. Replacing pickups is quite often unnecessary once you understand some basics, and assuming the pickups are not faulty. The only thing about the guitar you might change is the bridge saddles if you want a more Metalish sound. I'd then use either of my favorite Sfarzo Ni/Fe alloy strings for a warm/fat/bright sound and smooth slinky feel.

Comment

I also like the Agile guitars.
        I have a couple of them.
        I always find room for pickup improvement.
        Neck humbuckers usually are wound too high, and are muddy on the bass strings.
        Agile Alnico pickups have good parts and are suitable for rebuilding.

As Far as Kits?
        My grandson is a blues player and has been wanting a road worn looking strat.
        He and I are looking at building up a MJT body, in a 62 reissue.
        Home - MJT Custom Aged Guitars
        All factory spec bodies, made in the U.S.
        We haven't got down to parts and money yet, on his project.
        If we build one up, we'll include some pics.
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 02-29-2016, 05:44 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

yikes does grandson want the

HEAVY WORN version?

(or just put it through a thresher)

Comment

He's wanting more of a light or medium.
            Here's a the mediums.
            He wants a Sunburst model.
            Second row down on the left.
            Gallery - Medium Wear - MJT Custom Aged Guitars
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

I think I'd opt for DIY wear on a guitar rather than paying extra for it, but to each their own.
              Its pretty darn easy to beat something with chains; I put dents in guitars without even trying!

Comment

Even some of the medium wear models look like they've fallen out the back of a moving vehicle...

Call me old-fashioned, but get a guitar with a nice thin coat of nitro and simply 'wear it out' in a couple years.
                If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                  Even some of the medium wear models look like they've fallen out the back of a moving vehicle...

Call me old-fashioned, but get a guitar with a nice thin coat of nitro and simply 'wear it out' in a couple years.
                  It's not for you!
                  Not what my grandson wants.
                  He has several pretty guitars, and wants a 62 RI looking guitar with the road worn look.
                  Personally I think it would be a cool project.
                  The wood is what we need, I can do the rest.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Originally posted by eschertron View Post
                    Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                    It's not for you!
                    T
                    I apologize for using the accusative case

I'm sure your grandson will have an excellent guitar when the both of you are done with it
                    If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
                    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
                    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
                    MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Chain 'er up to the back of a quad T, down the gravel road awhile and you should be good. I don't think the tractor would be fast enough that's why I figured the quad should do it.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

They honestly don't look that bad to me, and have some realistic wear patterns.
                        He likes this one, so far, but not enough to bid on it yet.
                        MJT Official Custom Vintage Aged Nitro Guitar Body by Mark Jenny VTS 1 Piece | eBay
                        T
                        Terry

Comment

I do recognize the appeal of a well worn guitar: my sister has a 1964 Tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Slobrain View Post
                            Hey Guys,

I wanted to ask if any of you found a really good guitar kit out there that you put together and you found it to be really good quality? I have thought about trying one but not sure what's good and what's trash.
                            The best kits I've seen come from Carvin. Custom Shop USA Guitar & Bass Kits | KieselGuitars.com

Comment

Working...
                            X