Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frets sticking out from the front of the neck, DIY fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frets sticking out from the front of the neck, DIY fix?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and I already learned a lot just from reading some things here.
    My problem is I have an Epiphone G-400 since about 15 years and my frets are going out of the fretboard around the high E string, that causes the string to get caught in the gap between the frets and the fretboard.
    I searched on the net but what if always find is people with frets sticking out from the sides of the neck... obviously not my problem for now
    I am used to do a lot of things myself so if you have some tips & advice for me, like what kind of tool I can use & how to fix this, I'd like to know!

Thank you!

Welcome to the forum. Are the frets loose? If so, you might be able to mask them on either side with some tape, and wick some CA glue underneath. Use a small clamp, or hold the fret down with something until the adhesive cures.

Comment

The video on this page shows a similar repair.

Fixing fret buzz: seating a popped-up fret | stewmac.com

Comment

Hello,
        Use something like the compressed air they use for cleaning computer keyboards to remove any grunge from slot. Fill the slot with white glue from the side. Press fret down to remove excess glue. Then using a popsicle stick and rubber bands to hold it down overnight.
        Wicking in CA glue is a good fix for now, and it would work, but if you decided to replace the frets at some point down the line it could cause problems.

Comment

Thank you all a lot, I'll try to glue it, the hard part is that the fret is really hard to hold down, the guy in the video has a lot of professinal tools that I don't have but I think it can manage do do it anyway.
          thanks a lot for your replies!

Comment

Take it to the local guru. This is not something that you want to mess up.

Comment

Do you have a problem with high frets causing buzzing, etc., or is there just a gap between the fret and the fretboard or binding where the high E string gets stuck? If the frets are still level you don't need to clamp them down but just fill the gaps under the fret ends with CA glue. BTW is this just a few frets or a whole sh*tload of them?

If the frets are coming loose you probably want to bring it to a luthier... or spend as much (or even more) to put together the tools necessary to do the work yourself. A fret rocker to check for high frets. Dual head hobby hammer (I use the hard plastic head to avoid marring frets.) 8" and 16" long beam sanders to level frets if necessary. CA glue and solvent (keep rag with solvent handy to keep glue from soaking into rosewood fretboard.) Files or other tools to recrown leveled frets...

Steve Ahola

P.S. StewMac recommends "wicking" CA under frets for better transmission of vibrations from fret to fretboard to neck. If it becomes necessary to replace the frets later heating them up with a soldering iron helps them come out easier.

For refret jobs a luthier friend recommends Titebond Liquid Hide Glue very highly. Like CA it is very resilient but you have 2 or 3 hours working time to make sure that all of the frets are fairly level before it starts to set. Most guitar makers don't bother gluing frets in on new guitars but for refret jobs I'd rather be safe than sorry, and a good contact between the fret and the fretboard improves tone and sustain.

P.P.S. You can use a small C-clamp to hold the fret end down but be careful not to damage the neck.
              The Blue Guitar
              www.blueguitar.org
              Some recordings:
              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Hi Steve A,
                it doesn't cause fret buzz it's just a gap in which the high E string get stuck sometimes, and I have the problem on several frets, about 10 or more, but there are only a few where it is really an issue.
                I think I will just fill in the gap between the fretboard and the frets. Doesn't sound too complicated, I 'll just be very carefull.
                Thank you a lot for your advice, there is a lot of useful information

Comment

Working...
                X